4

"Lily we're gonna be late!"  It's Lily's birthday today so I decided to organize a small dinner party for her at her favorite Italian restaurant.

"Yeah, we're coming downstairs already" she says as she descends the stairs with Denise behind her

"Oh my gosh Denise! You did an amazing job!" I give her a hug, she has been our hairstylist and makeup artist for ages. She's one of the best in LA, we met downtown when I used to wait tables at Russo's.

Lily's frontal is laid to perfection, in a half up half down style with some strands twirling on her face, her subtle but captivating make up makes her eyes shimmer, she's wearing a dark green long fitted dress with studs.

"I had to make sure my favorite girl looks like a princess on her birthday" she smiles before handing Lily a cute black box

"Happy sweet 16th my love" she hugs Lily

"Oh my gosh thank you so much Denny, you're the best! Can I open it"

"As lovely as that sounds we're gonna be late for your party so we have to go" I interrupt

"Anna it's her birthday" Denise laughs
"Don't worry Lily when you get back, you'll love your present, give me a call to tell me what you think"

"Are you sure you can't come?" I ask Denise pouting a little

"I have an appointment right about.." she checks her watch
"Now. I'll see you girls this weekend. Kisses!" She says before hurrying off to her car.

"Be careful! And text me when you get home!"

"Lily go to the car I'm gonna make sure everything is alright before we leave" I hand lily the car keys. I had a friend of mine decorate my black 2019 Nissan Altima just for this night because I want Lily's 16th birthday to be really special.

____

We arrive at the venue and I'm Stunned to see our next door neighbors from when we were at Maggie's.

"Feline! Marcus! I'm so glad you both are here!" I hug them tightly

"Anna I need to give them a hug too yunno" lily pouts and we all laugh as she happily gives them a hug

"You both look so good! It's been ages I've missed you girls!" Feline gushes, her gray hair sticks out even more now and wrinkles grace her cheeks, she looks beautifully dressed in a floral print dress, her hair is up in a bun and her pearl earrings compliments her dark skin. Marcus stands at alert as usual beside her, he has always been so protective of feline, his lanky physique never came in the way.

" We've missed you both too" Lily and I say In unison.

"Well girls we'll let you get settled now, Happy Birthday Lily" Marcus kisses Lily's hands giving us a warm smile before they leave.

Lily and I walk hand in hand into the restaurant and the instrumentalists start playing the traditional birthday song.

"Happy birthday Lily!" They chime and I smile. She looks so happy and that makes me happy. I signal the waiter to get the presents I got for her.

"Here you go, Happy Birthday my baby" I hand her the presents and she smiles giving me a hug

"Thank you so much Anna, thank you for everything you done for me, I really can't imagine my life without you. I'm glad you're my big sister and no one else. I promise to make you, dad and mom really proud" she finishes sniffling a bit. I wipe my already teary eyes before speaking up

"You shouldn't be crying, so don't cry okay, I'm here for you, now and always. So let's get this party started" I wipe her tears carefully so I don't smudge her make up

"Happy birthday Lily!" Jane and some other girls from Lily's school walk up to her engulfing her in a warm hug. They talk for a while before whisking her away to the dance floor.

I make my way to find Maggie, I wonder what she's doing, I've been looking for her all night. I grab my phone and keys before heading out to see if I can find her. I greet some familiar guests, smiling as gracefully as I can. I spot Maggie just around the corner talking to some waiters and just as I'm about to call out to her I bump into someone.

"Oh my gosh I'm so sorry" I look up to make sure the person is okay and I'm shocked to see Keith.

"Mr Anders, you're here!" I say loudly so he can hear me over the music.

"Yes i am!" He replies before pulling me to the side of the restaurant away from the music.

"A little bird told me it's your sisters birthday today so, I had to come" He says nervously?

Why is he nervous

"Oh thank you for coming" I tell him with a smile. He shows me a gift bag

"For Lily" he says

"Aww thank you! You really didn't have to Sir" I say

"It's Keith, Annalise" he corrects

"Yes, I'm sorry I'll stop" I laugh

"Um, so.."
"Can I.." We say at the same time.

"You first" he says and I look away smiling a bit

"Okay Um, I was gonna ask if you wanted to come in" I say rubbing my arms as it starts getting a bit chilly.

"Yes sure, I hope I'll get to see Lily?" He says, taking my hand in his as we walk into the restaurant and I nod my head in response, too flustered to say anything. I lead him towards the reserved area.

"Um I'll be right back I have to look for someone" I inform him making sure he was seated before leaving to continue my search for Maggie.