Chapter 10

Alchemy: Magic vs. Science

-.-

D/C: I own nothing.

-.-

Huge shout out to AmyNChan!

-.-

First Name: Informal

Last Name: Formal (Or used to annoy others...)

-.-

"English and Edward's accented voice."

"Amestrian, other foreign languages or to add emphasis."

Written notes or to add extra emphasize.

'Thoughts.'

-.-

Alchemy. An age-old and ancient form of old magic. Old magic that no one had no true interest in learning what it truly was. It would have been considered a good thing as if they had delved into the true secrets of Alchemy then Magic would not be what it is today. It became obsolete and out of style as wands became the norm to oppose using the proper materials or understanding. What many would say it became a pain to do out of personal reasons, but in actuality, it was a silent rule to no longer practice the art. Not to practice the ancient art without the proper guidance, for the fact, one false move could ultimately lead to pain, confusion and complete and utter taboo. Many of course wanted to learn the subject, the only issue is that the drawbacks it brought along had them quickly walk away. They were not ready to pay the price for learning Alchemy.

The price of doing Alchemy ended up costing their own lives, the lives of their loved own or even their own sanity. It was as if something or someone out there controlled and pulled all the strings. Telling them in the far reaches of their minds, taunting them what they must give up when they attempt to play God.

Only a few had seen this mysterious figure and lived to tell the tale. Of course....not in one whole piece. He has a tendency of taking limbs, sense or at times souls.

-.-

"Whoa..." Edward muttered under his breath, entering his classroom. His desk was covered with applications to enter his class. There were about six piles by the looks of it but the closer of it there were more of them. He took into the matter that by the time every student takes a test, the numbers will go down. With a tired sigh, Edward continued forward to tackle his current enemy. Paperwork. "Xerxes, off."

Xerxes, who was still on Edward's head, hooted in protest and furrowed herself further into his hair.

"I do not care, off."

Another hoot of protest.

"Do you want me to pull you off of me?"

"Hoot!"

"...You want me to get you a stand?"

"Hoot!"

"Fine."

-.-

Edward resisted the urge to slam his head against his desk. After looking through several applications, he decided it was not worth his time. Everyone will be getting the same test and be tested equally. Now that decision was the easy part, now the hard part is creating the test. What many would have perceived it to be easy to create, that depends on who you are asking. Edward keeps remembering that exam he took when he became a State Alchemist. If he was dealing with kids from Amestris, he would expect each one of them to know the basics and understanding of Alchemy it would be no problem. No, he was dealing with brats that have no knowledge of what Alchemy is or even common sense for that matter.