51. Honing the Master

The wind blew hard, scattering dust that we have to cover our eyes while Denver and I continued to walk towards the center of the battling ground

The wind blew hard, scattering dust that we have to cover our eyes while Denver and I continued to walk towards the center of the battling ground. After the strong wind, the raindrops noisily as the thunder claps and roar in the sky.

*bang*

The go signal echoed and sharply reached my ears that caused me to fall deaf. I panicked and looked at Denver who's already running fiercely towards me. Though I couldn't hear any sound, I used it to my advantage to focus.

"Ha-!!!" I'll meet him on my way with running and few meters before him, I slide down the muddy ground and sweep him on his knees causing him to fall down with a following strike with open hands.

I lied down with him grabbing his arms and trapped his head and shoulder inside my thighs. Everything went fast and I can only see that some people are trying to remove him from my grasp.

...

Saturday morning, we were gathered in the battleground. We are all nervous about what's going to happen. Yuda was smiling at me again like everything's just fine.

'Of course, it will be fine for him, the lesser we are, the better for him.' I smiled back at him. 'Thanks for the grass advise.'

"As we said last week, ten of you will be chosen to go back to your respective jobs. Sending you back doesn't mean you're weak or because you won but because you're now prepared to go on to your next missions. The people who will remain in this camp doesn't mean they are weak, winners or pussies but because of the missions that they'll still have to handle and there's so much more for them to learn. Do not be confused. We are giving what's the best for you and your purposes. Good luck." Yayan takes what Yuda's handing to him and reads on it. "The following trainees that I will call will be going back to their jobs; Carlos, Samantha, Denver,... and Mara! Thank you for your cooperation and have a safe trip on your way back home." Yayan and Yuda bows down and the ten candidates also did it in return.

...

I wasn't on the top ten. Why? Why wasn't I included? Why was Denver sent back though I was the one who won just like the people whom he was sent back with?

Sunday, everyone was sent to their home for a break. I was still curious about what happened. 'What happened? Why wasn't I included?'

"Brazen, what's going on?" Dad broke the silence and asked me. "You have been silent since you came here." Everyone looked at me while we're eating at the dining table. Czar was eating cereal while I barely touched my food.

"Nothing wrong happened. I'm sorry to disappoint all of you but they made me stay in the camp." I shook my head and scooped a spoon of my food. I couldn't even taste it.

"That's good news then." Mj suddenly appeared carrying some groceries. "The longer you stay, the more you will learn." She puts the bags on the floor and joins us on the table.