Chapter 21

(Pictured Above: Brenya's chambers)

***********************

I numbly drifted through the suite, running my hands over the rich, leather couches, touching the cool, stone walls, gazing around at the beautiful, high ceilings with exposed wooden beams and candle lit chandeliers. Intricately woven rugs covered the polished wood floors, and breathtaking pieces of art covered the walls. The chambers had a warm, comforting, rustic feel to them, but somehow, I found little comfort in the beauty that surrounded me.

I supposed I should've felt ecstatic as I wandered the expansive rooms. I should've been jumping up and down as I marveled at the plush, inviting living room and it's expensive looking, leather furniture. Like the rest of the suite, it was designed with exposed wooden beams in the ceiling and had walls made up of many, smooth, round stones. A fireplace crackled peacefully near the couches.

I should've felt excitement when I discovered the cozy bedroom. It was designed with soft, cream colored furniture, wooden floors and walls, and an enticing, stone fireplace near the bed. The windows on either side of the fireplace allowed for natural lighting, and provided a magnificent view of the world outside.

Anyone would've squealed in delight when they laid their eyes upon the huge, marble and stone washroom, complete with a tub big enough for three. It had vaulted ceilings, several lovely vanities, bay windows, even a shower. It was a washroom big enough for several people to use at the same time. But I felt nothing as I studied it.

There was even a kitchen, carved from stone and wood like the rest of the rooms, with gorgeous floors and exposed ceiling beams. It had an island with bar stools, and the tabletop was littered with bowls filled with mouthwatering fruit. But none of it appealed to my stomach. The kitchen was connected to the dining room, which had a table big enough for ten people to sit at and share a feast fit for royalty.

But perhaps the most wonderful part of the chambers was the massive patio, which connected to the open kitchen and dining room area. Lanterns hung from the roof, and the sides of the space were completely open. It overlooked the forest, far below, and the snow capped mountain ranges in the distance. It had a fantastic, stone fireplace and several plush chairs, perfect for relaxing and chatting away with company.

But I hadn't any company. I had no friends, no family. I had no one...

The one person I did have would never truly be mine, not in the way I'd always hoped for, at least. The thought brought me an unbearable sense of loneliness, and fresh tears ran silently down my cheeks.

I padded into the bathroom, stripped myself of my grimy clothing, and slowly ascended the white, stone steps that led up to the tub. Perhaps a long, hot soak would calm me down and clear my head. As the bathtub filled, I grabbed the first bottle of oil I saw and poured it into the steaming water. The smell of oranges and nutmeg filled the steamy air and I sighed instantly with pleasure.