Chapter 42

********************

All eyes were on me as I gently set my Book of Shadows down onto the smooth, wooden table of the council room. Andromeda sat in her usual place, beside Torryn, while Warrick sat opposite of them.

"Andi... Torryn... Warrick. Wonderful to see you all, as always." I said, shifting my eyes between them. They each sent me a warm smile, aside from Torryn who gave me his usual, stiff nod, as they returned my greeting.

Marrok was also in attendance, seated beside Warrick. Seeing as he was now pack leader, he was our newest council member. I smiled at him as our eyes met.

"Welcome, Marrok. I'm happy to see you here." I said honestly.

"Glad to be here." He said with a respectful nod of his head.

Beside Marrok, Ronan sat silently. I had not locked eyes with him yet, and I was feeling rather nervous about doing so. I hadn't spoken to him in so long, and had no idea of his current feelings toward me.

Was he still angry that I'd gotten our of our deal through Dristan and I's mate bond? Was he jealous, or possibly hurt? I didn't want to know. I'd had enough guilt to deal with lately.

My eyes slid to Dristan's, who was seated at the head of the table. He watched me with cool, clear eyes as he lounged lazily in his chair, the perfect image of calm.

"Dristan." I said, a smile teasing my lips.

He grinned briefly, raising his chin, as he greeted me. "Mate."

I held his hypnotizing gaze longer than I'd meant to. His sapphire depths pierced into me, and I struggled to stay focused as my mind flashed back to what we'd been doing only mere minutes ago. My cheeks grew hot as a knowing smile spread across his lips.

I broke our eye contact, lowering my eyes to the book. Brushing my fingers across the bumpy, jeweled cover, I tried to control my wandering thoughts. We were not alone here, and allowing myself to become aroused, even the slightest bit, would prove quite embarrassing considering the number of keen noses in the room.

Being that I was on the other side of the table, Dristan and I both appointed at each end, I was quite close to Ronan. It made me uneasy. Perhaps if I looked at him it would break the ice. Hesitantly, I flicked my eyes to him and found him staring at me.

My throat bobbed as his deep blue eyes twinkled in the dim lighting. When I did not immediately look away, the corner of his lip turned upward, causing the dimple in his cheek to emerge.

"Hello, Ronan." I said, studying his features.

"Princess." He said smoothly, his subtle smile still in place. "It's good to see you."