Chapter 51

********************

I stared at the side of my mate's face as we rested by the fireplace, still entangled together atop the large rug before it.

As much as I'd enjoyed our love making and the feeling of closeness it brought us, it also confused me. How could he be so cold and distant one moment and then so gentle and loving the next? His mood swings gave me emotional whiplash and I wasn't sure how to feel.

"What's wrong?" He whispered to the ceiling, his eyes still closed.

I ran a finger lightly down his bicep. "You confuse me." I admitted.

He turned his head, training his eyes on mine. "I know. I confuse myself, too."

I smiled briefly as I drew circles on his abdomen. "You were so hateful toward me, back in the forest... It hurt me very deeply."

He closed his eyes as his brows drew together tightly. "I know... I was overwhelmed with both my dragon's anger and my own. I lashed out. I'm sorry..."

"I'm sorry too. I should never have kept it from you. I was afraid that you would try to stop me from helping Warrick because you are always so driven to protect me from any risk."

His hand closed around mine, stopping the light trailing of my fingers. His eyes re-opened as the pad of his thumb gently rubbed circles onto the palm of my hand.

"Brenya... I need you to understand..." His eyes burned into mine. "I wasn't upset that you'd been looking for a way to heal Warrick. Of course, it irritated me. But I understood why you did it. I could've gotten over that easily. After all, your defiance and stubborn nature are what made me fall for you in the beginning..." He paused, sighing deeply through his nose.

"What triggered my dragon's instinctual anger, and my own, was the fact that you'd been seeing Ronan behind my back. Ronan, the person who you nearly married, the person who would be happy to take you from me, the person who has hated me for nearly a century. I had never felt so betrayed in all my life... And beneath all of the anger, betrayal, and the jealousy... I felt the deepest sadness I have ever known."

Sorrow flared inside of my chest at the raw emotion in his eyes. I could feel the echo of his despair and it burned behind my eyes. I'd caused these feelings.

Me.

Oh, how sorry I felt.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered as the pain spread, seizing my heart in it's icy grasp. "I have no excuse for what I did. I-I was selfish. I couldn't see past my own grief and I was desperate to relieve it. I didn't mean to hurt you, Dristan, I'm so sor-"

His lips covered mine, cutting me off. His hands cupped my face, holding me to him as if I were the most precious, breakable thing in the world.

He kissed me so passionately, with the most gentle amount of love. When he pulled back, he kissed away the tear that had fallen from my eye.