Chapter 68

************************

I had no idea how long I had been below the water, or more importantly, how much power the Sirens had drained from me. For few moments, all I could think about was how incapacitating the freezing water felt as it enveloped me, stabbing me to the bone with it's icy fingers.

After those first few moments, I panicked, overcome with fear because I was under water and this meant that I could not breathe. How long had been down here with no supply of oxygen? I flailed uselessly against the iron grips that held me, gaping around myself in horror. The water tasted of salt, and fish as it rushed into my mouth.

I could not breathe. But... My lungs did not burn...

After another few, horrific moments, I realized that this was because I was not human anymore. I was immortal, unable to die due to lack of oxygen. Being unable to breathe would not kill me... But it sure as hell was not comfortable, and every instinct in my body told me it was wrong. I couldn't smell anything without breathing, and being without that sense was a disadvantage.

I didn't like it, but at least I knew I wouldn't drown. This realization, although odd and still so unfamiliar, calmed me enough to think past the shock. My brain moved on to greater threats, and I began pulling desperately at the hands that held me still. They were like steel traps.

Not because they were particularly strong...

But because they had already drained so much of my physical strength.

I blinked, nearly blind in the dark water, trying to see how many enemies there were. There were several of them holding onto me, their teeth attached to whatever area of flesh that they could reach.

I could only see one Siren who was not draining me. The one floating in front of me, the one who smiled as it watched me with cruel amusement. It was the one who had been hypnotizing me, I was sure of it.

Gods, it had overtaken my mind so easily...

Was Dristan right? Was I too weak to do this?

'Of course he was right.' The siren in front of me said pleasantly.

I blinked at the creature, confused. It's lips had not moved, and yet I could hear it speaking to me. I bared my teeth at it, suddenly aware that it was still inside of my mind.

It cocked it's head, studying me. Strings of dark hair floated around it's head, encircling it like a black, ghostly crown. 'Such strong emotions, you have... It is rare, and so much fun to play with.' It said into my head.

A rush of bubbles escaped my mouth as I tried to shout an insult at the vile creature. It's disturbing smile widened in answer.

'Your anger only further proves my point... So weak...' It crooned.