Pomade

It was almost 11:00 pm and the drugstore I'm working at is almost closing up- but were not going anywhere. I was with our supervisor Ms. Marian, our manager Ms. Rhea, the cashier - Shane and a fellow pharmacist like me whose name is Kate. We were assigned to help with the monthly inventory we traditionaly do every end of the month. Actually, I've been working with them with the inventory a couple times before, since Kate and I thought we might be of help as the only pharmacists who studied Accountancy before we became pharmacists. I thought it would be just like the previous inventory we worked on together, but it turns out this night is different.

It was almost 12:00 am when I begin to smell something from the room where we were working. At first I didn't mind that stench which smelled like old woman's favorite perfumes or anything, but as I ignore it the smell became more suffocating for me. It smelled a lot like pomades- an oil used by the elderly for their hair. I was going to ignore it again until Shane, a cashier staff stood and kept on looking around, her nose slightly wrinkling.

"What's that smell?" Shane said, her voice quite loud enough for us to hear.

"I've been smelling it to.." I mumbled.

"It smells like pomades. Kate, could you please check the stocks and shelves for broken bottles?"

Minutes later, Kate came back, saying nothing broke.

I can tell that Ms. Rhea had been smelling it out too. Kate went out of the room with a nod. As I look around, I noticed Ms. Marian, our supervisor, staring focusedly at the stairs near  Ms. Rhea's seat which leads to the stock room. The stairs were pitch black dark at the time, and I don't see anything that might catch Ms. Marian's attention. She was turning pale.. and I  just felt goosebumps on my skin.

"What is it,Marian?" Ms. Rhea asked.

I figured out what kind of look Ms. Marian's wearing, and it is scaring the hell out of me. I was reminded of  Ms. Marian's sixth sense since she was just a little kid. And I think Ms. Rhea just figured it out the same second I did- which doesn't surprise me because they've been friends for more than 5 years.

"Ms. Rhea..." she uttered, and Shane is quite puzzled.

Ms. Rhea just shook, and her brows meeting a little. I can tell were both freaking out deep inside, but were both just trying to focus on our work. Besides, we might scare the others up that we might run off and head home leaving the place neglected.

"No. Don't tell us.Wait for tomorrow. Get back to work, all of you."

And to that we get back to work, ignoring the eerie atmosphere were all in. Exactly 1:00 am, we head out and went home separately.

The next day was a normal day for me. Not until we went back to what happened last night.

"So, what did happened last night?" Kate asked out of the blue, while we were preparing to close down the building and was about to head home.

Ms. Marian's face started to turn pale again as she murmurs.

"I saw an old woman on the stairs, lying on her chest- staring at us. What's scary about her it is her face has a huge slit with blood oozing from it. It scared the hell out of me as she began to crawl down to us, but fortunately, disappeared rightaway. I was quite nervous how close she was to Rhea.."