Chapter 10

I hear the front door shut and I leap off the bed, leaving Joe alone as I walk to the front of the place. It's Nick. He sets a grocery bag on the counter and gives me a weird look. "Everything okay? You're really red."

I run a hand through my hair and clear my throat, "I'm fine. Joe had a slip in the shower but he's in his room now. I got him to take his medicine."

"Wow you actually got him to take it? A miracle."

"Right." I say, sitting down at the table. I set my hands in front of me and notice I'm shaking. Why did Joe just act the way he did with me? Does he have feelings for me? The thought makes me dizzy.

After Nick puts the groceries away I follow him into Joes room. Joe is seared on the bed still but full clothed thankfully.

He looks at me but I look away, unsure of how I should act.

"How you feeling?" Nick asks, setting a new glass of water on his nightstand.

"Not too bad." Joe says.

"That's good. I just came back to check on you, I gotta go to mom and dads. I guess they have a flood in the basement, I'm gonna help dad get that under control.

Oh god, he's leaving us alone again? Should I make an excuse to go home? But I'm supposed to be here to take care of him for Nick. Ugh.

"Okay. Have fun with that." Joe says.

Nick exits the room, leaving us alone in silence. I stare at my feet, kicking my heals together.

"Trin." Joe says suddenly.

I look at him, "hmm?"

"Watch a movie with me?" He asks. It wasn't what I expected him to say, but I nod. I grab the remote and sit beside him on the bed.

We have been in the same bed before. We used to have sleep overs as a kid and have watched movies together like this before but this feels different.

I stay as far as I can on my side of the bed, resting my hands on my stomach as he picks some action movie.

We don't say anything as we watch. I peak over at him and he's staring blankly at it but he feels my eyes on his and he turns and looks at me. I turn away, but I feel the bed shift a little, making me turn to look at him once more.

He turned over and is facing me, just looking at me. I turn onto my side, mirroring him. He scans my face, and my pulse quickens just looking at him. He's just simply perfect. I could stare at him forever.

"Trinity." He says lowly.

"Joseph." I reply back. He smiles and I can't help but return it. Everything. About. Him. Is. Perfect.

He reaches out and brushes a loose hair behind my ear, his fingertips brushing my cheek, never leaving eye contact with me. He went from never ever touching me like this to multiple times in one day. What has changed?

"Thanks for staying with me." He says, bringing his hand back to himself.

"You know I'm always here for you." I say.

"I do." He says.

A sudden rush of bravery rushes through me and I inch closer to him. I'm afraid he might back away but he doesn't. My knees press against his leg and our faces are a few inches apart. I close my eyes, soaking in the closeness of him. I can feel his warmth and hear his breathing, which sounds unsteady, though it surely can't be because of me.

I feel his hand rest on my waist, the sensation overwhelming. I don't open my eyes, in fear that this is just a dream and I will wake up.

"Joe." I whisper.

He pulls on my waist, bringing me against his chest. I gasp at the contact, unsure if he heard it. I bury my face in his neck and he wraps his good arm around me. I can hear his heartbeat against mine, both at alarming speeds. We have never embraced like this before.

My breathing quickens and I try so hard to contain it but I can't. He smells so good, too.

"Joe." I say again, my lips brushing against his neck as I speak. He lets out the small moan at the contact and I feel crazy.

"Trin, I..." he says.

I shouldn't do it. This is insane. It's crazy. It's Joe. He's engaged. It's wrong. He's never shown interest in me. But I can't help it.

I kiss his neck, just a quick kiss, and his body tenses for a second and the loosens up again. His arm gets tighter, pressing me against him even more. I kiss his neck again and his breathing gets louder.

He moves away just enough to bring his face in front of mine again. He leans in, brushing his lips slowly against mine, teasing me. I whimper at his touch. I've wanted to feel his lips on mine for so many years.

Suddenly his phone rings, jolting us back to reality. We both sit up and he grabs it, looking at the caller ID. "It's Jenny." He says, looking at me with wide eyes.

"Okay. I should go to sleep anyways." I say, jumping out of bed.

"Trinity. I'm sorry, that was a mistake. We shouldn't have..."

"I know. Don't worry about it Joe." I say before going out to the living room. I sit on the couch, covering my hand with my mouth. I can't believe what just happened, and that he just called it a mistake. After everything, a phone call from her shuts us down. How could he play with me like that?

I sob quietly, wishing more than anything I could just run away and never look back.