Chapter 27

Danielle and I talk for a little while longer, until I realize that Nick is my ride. Is he still here or did he leave?

I walk inside and go into the kitchen where Kevin and Nick are seated at the island talking. They both snap their heads in my direction as I enter. Nick smiles warmly at me and I'm relieved. Kevin looks from me to Nick and then stands up.

"Did you two have a nice talk?" He asks, referring to me and Danielle.

I nod, "Yes we did."

"Good."

"Should we get you home?" Nick asks.

"I can get a different ride, if you would rather not." I say.

He laughs, "Of course I do Trin."

"Okay." I say with a small smile.

Nick stands up and Kevin grabs his shoulders, "don't be strangers you guys."

I walk over and give Kevin a hug, "thanks Kevin." I say.

He smiles at me as we break apart and I follow Nick out to his car, where we both enter in silence.

The music is a low murmur as we head back to my place. What do I say to him? Do I say something about what happened earlier? Or do I pretend nothing happened?

"You don't have to be silent Trinity. I don't want things to change between us." He says.

I sigh, "but things have changed." I admit.

"Only if we let them." He says.

I turn to him my head towards him but he doesn't look my way, his eyes focused on the road.

"But what you said... is a big deal." I said.

"I know. But I told you that I know you don't feel the same way, and that if being with Joe is what you want then that's fine. Nothing would change between us and it's not going to. So I will continue to act normal." He says. He glances at me but only for a moment.

"Joe and I aren't going to be together." I say blankly.

"What do you mean?" He asks.

"He said he can't be with me right now, after everything he put me through."

"He just needs time." Nick says.

I shake my head, though I know he isn't looking, "it's Joe. He won't change his mind."

He doesn't say anything, because he knows it's true.

We pull into my driveway and he leaves the car running. "Will you be okay?" He asks.

"Yeah, I'll be okay."

"I'm just a call away if you need me." He says.

I look at him and smile weakly, "thanks Nick."

"Of course Trin." He says.

I get out and walk up to my door without looking back. I hear his vehicle pull out of my driveway as I stick my key in the door.

I sigh loudly as I enter, shutting the door behind me. What. A. Day.

The next morning I go over to Kevin and Danielle's. Honestly, I feel like I lost my two best friends. Joe won't talk to me, and being around Nick makes me confused and nervous.

"Have you talked to Joe?" Danielle asks. She slides over a plate of fruit across the table.

"No, but it's only been since yesterday." I say.

"True. What about Nick?" She says, grabbing a strawberry.

"He texted me this morning but I didn't reply."

"Why not?"

I grab a piece of melon and play with it on my napkin, "because I don't know how to act around him."

"Because he loves you?" She asks. I nod and she sits back in her chair, "I understand it's hard for you."

"I have feelings for him, but I can't stop loving Joe. At least not right now." I admit.

"I understand." She says again, "but don't push Nick out your life because of it, you know? He just wants to be there for you."

"I know." I tell her.

"Hey girls." Kevin says as he enters the room.

"What's up?" Danielle says.

"The guys and I are playing golf today." He says, straightening out his collar on his shirt.

"All three of you?" I ask.

He nods, "Yes."

"Have fun!" Danielle says, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

After he leaves, she look at me with a glimmer in her eye, "girls day?!"

I smile, "I think that's exactly what I need."

We arrive at the nail salon and start off with getting pedicures followed by manicures. I giggle and look at my freshly painted pink nails.

"We should get some lunch." Danielle says as we exit the salon.

"Yes I'm starving."

We walk to the nearest diner. It's small and only serves breakfast and lunch but it will do.

We take a seat in the back of the place, in a small booth. The waitress brings us menus and then each a mug of coffee.

I scan through the menu, trying to decide what to get when movement on the other side of the room catches my eye.

Its Jenny, and she's looking right at me. I look at Danielle with eyes wide, "Jenny is here."

She follows my gaze and sets her cup down, "She's coming over." Danielle says.

"Hey girls." She says, her smile wide and full of excitement. I'm taken aback by her tone and I can't find words to reply back.

"Hi." Danielle says sweetly.

"Trin, I just wanted you to know that I don't hate you or anything like that, or blame you for Joe and I."

"Really?" I ask, surprised. I know if I was her, I would hate me.

She shakes her head, "of course not."

"Thanks Jenny." I say.

"Want to join us?" Danielle asks.

She shakes her head, "I'm on break from work right now, just picking up some lunch but thank you. The three of us will have to get together soon."

"Totally." I say.

"Bye girls!" She says before walking away.

I look at Danielle and raise an eyebrow, "Well that went better than I expected."

"I know right." She agrees.