15 | To Take The Case Or To Not Take The Case -- That Is The Question

Chapter Fifteen
Rhys Chandler

Dimitri approaches me, I immediately stand up from my seat as I looked at him. I don't know why I stood up, I didn't intend to envelop him an embrace as I hated hugs so why did I stand up like that was my intention? Knowing Dimitri, that's the exact way that he'd want to be comforted so I swallowed and moved around from behind my desk so that I'm directly in front of him.

I know that he laughed at me when I came back in the same distress, except I was more angry than gloomy, but I couldn't laugh at him as he did to me. I don't do things like this, but if this is the way to comfort him then I suppose that I must. Chewing on my bottom lip, I approach Dimitri who stopped walking moments ago and looks at me with his mouth open to say something.

I shake my head to silence him and force my arms around his big body as I wrap him in my tight embrace. This feels awkward, but I force my eyes close and gingerly rub my hands around his back like a parent would do to a child, however, my movements were tenser and less comforting. I can't let him down like this because of my inexperience so I decide to try harder and I begin to hug him tighter as I attempt to pour my compassion into the hug.

If I remember correctly from the movies I've seen, the women would stroke the hair of whomever they were comforting so I reach my right up but just as I'm about to stroke his head I realize that his head is shaved and he has 'waves.' Do I still stroke his head? Will it still convey my comfort?

Before I can decide, he places his hand to my lower back and I watch as he backs away a bit to look me in the eye but my arms are still awkwardly clasped firmly around him.

"Is there something you want to tell me, Rhys?" Dimitri raises a single eyebrow, I begin to see his eyes begin to cloud with amusement as his lips pull up into a smirk. "Maybe a confession of some sort perhaps."

I blush as I glare at him and sheepishly push him away. I have never felt as embarrassed as I am at this moment, I felt obligated to comfort this jerk but here he is cheerful and smiling like he always is. He's laughing as he doubles over and firmly grasps my shoulder to keep himself upright. I glare down at him but I can't help but somehow feel relieved that he's laughing like this instead of how he previously was, even if it was at the expense of my ego.

"I hate you." I spit out, though I didn't mean it. It was to mask my pride.

Dimitri coughs as he stands upright and wipes the tears in his eyes from laughing so hard, his gaze locked with mine as he chuckles here and there.

"What am I to expect when you wrap your arms around me in a weird hug and lift your arms like you're about to stroke the head of your lover or some shit, Rhys?" Dimitri is smiling from ear to ear as he awaits my answer, I don't give him the satisfaction of making fun of me any longer. He's back to his regular self so I've done my job.

"I thought Jayce Mirella had upset you, you ass," I grumble as I roll my eyes and swat his hand off of my shoulder.

I stomp my way back to my seat like some toddler and plop down onto the comfortable black leather cushion as I avoid looking at him. I rifle through the papers on my desk. I hear his footsteps as he approaches me, I don't look up even when he stands directly in front of my desk because then I'll relive the embarrassment again. When I don't lift my head, he gets onto his knees so that he can look at my face.' I can't believe that he's going through these lengths to gloat in my face,' were my thoughts in the beginning until he opened his mouth and spoke.