25 | Playing Detective

Chapter Twenty-Five
Jayce Mirella

I'm beginning to think that a handsome face and charming attitude truly is the key to getting whatever you want in life; no one would be able to change my mind. Rhys Chandler and I returned to the neighborhood in which the accident occurred in, Leon's neighborhood to be frank. The objective of returning was to look into cars, and once we had spotted a dash camera inside the vehicle we had to approach the owner of the car who was most likely inside the home the car was parked by.

No matter how much I tried my hardest to fake politeness and a damn smile, the residents would only glance down at me like I was a cockroach they couldn't kill no matter how many times they attempted to with their eyes. It bothered the hell out of me, my blood boiling until I was grinding my teeth together, my hands on either side of me had clenched into fists.

Before I could lash out in any way, Rhys would immediately swoop in like Superman and charm the ass out of the resident who only moments ago had a stupid look of disdain spread across their haughty looking face. Of course, I should be happy that because of Rhys's, 'good looks,' and his personable attitude — which was fake in itself because Rhys is cold and an asshole to everyone on an everyday basis — we were able to look into the cars of the homes near the Quince residence, except for Leons', but the feeling of wrath still lingers on within me.

Because we were able to look at the dash camera footage in their car we were able to spot a man in a black hoodie running down the neighborhood, and we've been following the trail for around thirty minutes now.

Rhys and I have to play detective and follow the lead ourselves because the actual detectives refuse to actively take part in a case where they believe that the defendant is 100% guilty. The bullshit logic behind it is what floors me, but I'm not surprised in one bit. With all the fingerprints that have been taken belonging to me at the very crime scene because I'm an idiot who chose to feel around instead of immediately find the light switch, no further action has been done and they've taken it as a slam done case.

The fact that the police of New York want to urgently and quickly close this case even if it means falsely accusing someone else, does not surprise me one bit. They're lazy and refuse to be meticulous with the things that matter. I scoff. Unless you have some sort of status, power, or privilege it was expected that your case would be swept under the rug. I'm aware that the facts and evidence point to me but upon further speculation and digging it didn't take long for Rhys to check the autopsy reports of Keagan and Delilah Quince which depicted their time of death to have been 8:00 pm, an hour before I even arrived at the residence. Something like that should have been considered when analyzing my case, but it's like someone wanted me to become the criminal no matter what.

Whoever did this would be discovered.

"How much longer are we going to be walking?" I huff.

Rhys looks back at me. I'm struggling to keep up with him, my body is hunched over slightly as I've lost stamina and any will to keep going at this point. We left the gated neighborhood, and we've been walking down a street that leads to an open road with a sidewalk leading down to a local bakery. I didn't see how any of this made sense.

"The way the man was running from the dash cameras in the car points to this direction. There's no other path he could have gone so we should follow this trail." Rhys explained like it was the most simple thing in the world, he turned around to face forward after.