15

"Listen I have something to talk to." Umar said annoyed. Today was just another busy day before the nikkah.

I was trying to concentrate and he wasn't letting me. Some of the relatives had come over. It was only 3 days before the nikkah. No matter how haed we had tried to keep it simple, we had to do some rituals at home.

One of those rituals were applying mehendi, which was happening today. Ma and others were in the hall applying mehendi and talking. It was only a ladies function so every men were sent out including Umar. But here where I was checking on the food before I started applying mehendi, he was annoying me from the kitchen window which led to the backyard.

"What?" I hissed at him. I went near him and pointed my index finger, warning him. I was about to scold him again when he kept his hand on my mouth making me shut.

I glared at him. "Okay Ill remove my hand but dont shout okay?" He whispered to me. I nodded at him. He removed his hands. "I want you to come in backyard. Nobody is there."

"But why?" I whispered back. He glared at me. I sighed. I made sure the food was closed and went to backyard making sure no one spotted me. I tip toed outside. It was cold at night. Umar was startled when I tapped him on the back. I laughed at his cowardness.

He took me to a corner so no one could spot us. "Are we going to murder someone?" I mocked at him. But when he didnt laugh or pass any sarcastic comment I stayed quite. We just stayed there for a few minutes.

"Shayan spoke to me today." Hearing shayan's name caused all the bad memories to come back. It was the last encounter I had with him. After that we didnt meet. Dropping the things at rayyan's place was the best thing I could do for myself. I felt much better. I felt lighter.

I wanted to give the credit to shayan for triggering me to the extent of doing that but I didnt want to tell him all that. And we didnt even meet. So.. but why was Umar speaking about shayan.

"Okay." Nonetheless I answered it to him. He was Umar's brother-in-law. I couldn't tell him that how much I was bothered and annoyed by him. "Hewantstomarryyou" he said that all in one breath. I couldnt understand a word. I raised my eyebrow at him and said, "come again?"

"He wants to marry you." He sighed and said emphasising each word so he didnt have to repeat it. "What?" I shouted at him, shocked at the revelation. He hushed me. I whispered the same thing to him again. "What?"

I was unable to believe that he had the audacity to propose me after everything he said. He nodded at me. "This is not the time to joke." I told and turned around to leave when he caught my hand, making me stop in my tracks.

"Im not joking ayah." He took my name. That means he was serious. But why did he want to marry me? And why did he think that I will marry him. "You are telling me to get married to a drunken man? Dont tell me your considering it." I whispered to him. He raked his hand through his hair making it even more messier than it was.

"Ayah, how can you judge him like that? You have only met him once. If he can choose alcohol to forget his sorrows, don't you think he would stop drinking when he will find his happiness?" He talked me like he was talking to a 5 year old kid.

"Did you talk to ma?" I asked him for which he shooked his head. "He wanted me to talk to you first. Then he will talk to his parents and ours." My heart felt warm when Umar said our parents. Yet again, he proved that he considered me own. "The right thing is not to get married to him because Im saying. The right thing is to consider him because you want to. If not then I can deny the proposal." When I didnt say anything he continued to talk.

He was right. I was no one to judge him. I had flaws too. But he had judged me. There was many questions unanswered. I just stayed quite. I couldnt answer anything now except for asking some time to think about it.