Chapter 17

We moved back into the clubhouse. Our house was an active crime scene. The cops said it would be at least a week before we were able to go back in. Before they could get ahold of me to be interviewed, Beast had told me to be honest but still protect the club. I knew what that meant. Give the big picture not the small details. Those details belonged to the club for retaliation. 

The dynamic of the clubhouse had changed. Everything was silent. We all mourned the President of the club. He'd changed a lot of lives in the club and the community. I remember how he'd always overtip me when I served him, insisting that I could use the money. He was a good man that didn't deserve this. 

Linda was an emotional mess. She kept sobbing, no one was able to comfort her. Ray had been her husband for twenty years. To have him killed right in front of her only made the situation worse. I couldn't imagine what she was going through. If it had been Beast instead of Ray, I don't think I would be able to go on. 

Beast wouldn't let Maddie or I out of his sight. He'd come so close to losing us, terrified that something would happen again. I gladly stayed by his side, wanting him here. I was a clingy mess. If I wasn't holding our daughter, I had myself wrapped around him. 

The day before the funeral the members all went into Church. Everyone else sat outside, waiting for them to come out. The next time the doors opened the new President would be walking out. When it came to the vote, it had to be unchallenged. There was no telling how long they'd be in there. 

Two hours had passed before the sound of a gavel echoed through the building. Everyone looked up as the doors opened. Carp was the first one to step out of the room. His Vice President patch had been replaced by the President patch. He'd been the VP for five years, he was the obvious choice. With a new President there would be a new order as well. 

The rest of the members followed. My eyes kept scanning the crowd for Beast. He hadn't followed everyone else out. I made my way towards the room, pushing through the crowd. My eyes caught sight of Leo now sporting the Sargent in Arms patch. That had belonged to Beast. I said nothing, only hurried my way to where Beast sat. 

He sat at the right hand side of the head of the table. He stared down at the marks on the table. I went over to him, crawling into his lap. My fingers danced over the patches on the front of the leather vest. His old patch had been replaced with the Vice President patch. He was no longer just the weapon of the club. He was now the brains and muscle. 

"I love you." I whispered as I gave him a kiss. 

His arms wrapped around me. "I love you too." 

We escaped upstairs to our room. Maddie was still fast asleep in her crib. Beast sat down on the edge of the bed, hands pulling on his hair. I sat down behind him. My hands went up to massage his shoulders, trying to ease some of his tension. 

"I want to tell you shit." He speaks up. "I don't want it to drive you away though." 

"Nothing can scare me away." I assure him. 

"Video footage from your apartment fire shows a guy that matches the description you gave of the guy. He'd been planning this shit for a while now. The man had been prospecting for a friendly club. We'd gone to visit them a month before the fire. He had tried to force a girl up to his room. I beat the shit out of him. Club kicked him out after that." he tells me. "You were the target. You've been the target since day one. I hurt him, so he wanted to go after the one thing that mattered to me." 

I said nothing. Instead, I moved to sit in his lap, wrapping my arms around him tightly. 

"We voted on retaliation today. Motion passed. The kill will be mine. He went into my home, after my family. He's going to pay for all the damage he's done." He growls at this. No doubt imagining everything that he's going to do to the man. 

"When it's done, Maddie and I will be waiting here for you." I said, knowing that this needed to be done. I was apart of this world now, I had to adapt to the rules. 

Gurgling sounds let me know that our daughter had woken up. I picked her up from the crib, bringing her over to the bed. She wiggled around in my arms. I placed her into Beast's arms. He gladly held her to his chest, breathing in her soft baby scent. One of her little hands fisted into his beard. His body relaxed as he held the infant. 

"I just want what's best for both of you." Beast sighs. 

"You coming back to us is all we need." I assure him. 

He pulls me into his side, holding me there. His beard tickled my cheek as he placed a kiss on it. I snuggled into his side, taking comfort in his warmth. Maddie seemed to be as relaxed in his arms just as I was. 

I didn't know what all was running through his head. He refused to talk about Ray's death. The man had taken him in when he had returned from overseas. I know he must be taking his death hard, especially when he'd sacrificed himself for our family. He'll open up eventually. I just had to remain here and wait for him to do so. 

"In a few months, I'll be taking over as president." Beast told me. "Carp and his old lady plan on moving up north. He'll be transferring to one of the other charters. The motion was already in the works before all of this. It's been pushed back because of this."

"What does that mean?" I ask him. 

"Means you'll be the queen around here." He says. 

I pulled back from him, staring at him for a moment. A few months ago, I had nothing to do with this life. Now....now I was going to be the old lady everyone looked up to. I had to be strong. Not just for my family, but the whole club now.