Chapter Seventeen: The Bonfire

“Tonight’s the night,” Iker murmured handing Cristiano a drink, he was pleased with how the last couple of days had gone and they had been pretty peaceful since Tiffany had disappeared.

No one was sure when Tiffany had left only that she had checked out of the hotel after her fight with Jenna, they all hoped that she wasn’t going to come back; she was nothing but trouble for the pack.

Cristiano nodded his head looking over at Jenna, he smiled watching her fuss over Henrique while she talked with Andreia since the two had become close over the last few days.

“I bet you can’t wait to see her with pups of your own,” Sergio teased balancing his son on his hip, he knew how Cristiano was feeling and he hoped that his friend was prepared to tell Jenna about everything.

Cristiano nodded his head with a small smile on his lips, he didn’t want to admit how much he wanted to see Jenna with their own pups one day but he wasn’t going to rush her for that.

“How are you going to tell her?” Iker asked knowing that they didn’t need Jenna freaking out and running away, there was still a rogue vampire running about and they didn’t need her in danger.

Jenna was Cristiano’s mate and she was pack now, Iker was sure that she would adjust to her role while Sara and Pilar was eager to take the brunette under their wing.

Cristiano shook his head, he had no idea how to tell Jenna that he was a werewolf when he didn’t want to scare her; he had been thinking for the past two and a half weeks how to break the news to her.

“I’m sure you’ll think of something,” Sergio said reassuringly, he remembered when he had found Pilar and how nervous he had been when he had told her; he doubted that anyone knew what to say when it came to telling their mates.

***

“Can we talk?” Cristiano asked walking over to Jenna, it was getting late and the moon was now full in the sky; he flashed a nervous smile to Sara and Andreia who were sat talking with his mate.

Jenna nodded her head looking up at Cristiano, she carefully got to her feet and dusted off her purple long sleeve jumper and slim boot cut jeans that she had paired with black canvas lace up pumps.

Cristiano took a deep breath trying to calm his nerves before he led Jenna away from the bonfire, he ignored the smiles from his pack mate who all knew what was going to happen.

Jenna kept up with Cristiano wondering what was going on, she could see that it was serious and it made her nervous; she hoped that he wasn’t going to tell her something bad.

Cristiano led Jenna just out of hearing range from the others, he took a deep breath turning to face her and he knew that he had to tell her before their bond got stronger.

“I remember the first time that I saw you… I knew you were the one for me,” Cristiano mused smiling softly, he had never thought that he would find such a perfect mate; he was hopeful with how things would work out for them.

Jenna looked at Cristiano confused, she had no idea where he was going with this and she had no idea why seeing her at the hospital was so important to him since he hadn’t really known her.

“It was the day of the meet and greet and I thought I’d lost you forever, I’ve waited thirteen years for you Jenna,” Cristiano whispered looking at Jenna, he knew she wouldn’t know about that and he hoped to explain.

Jenna stared at him, she was so confused since he had been so focused on Tiffany during the meet and greet; he hadn’t said a word to her and she wasn’t sure that he had even seen her.

“What are you talking about?” Jenna asked trying to figure out where Cristiano was going with this, she brushed some hair from her face while she watched the footballer who seemed a little annoyed at him.

Cristiano took a deep breath, he was going to rip off the plaster and tell Jenna what he was; he was sure that he was making her even more confused about all of this by rambling.

“Jenna I’m a werewolf,” Cristiano revealed watching her, he had no idea how she was going to take this and he hoped that now that the truth was out that he would be able to explain all of this better.

Jenna stared at Cristiano for a moment, she allowed his words to settle in her mind for a moment wondering if she had heard him right.

“I’m sorry?” Jenna said wondering if this was some sort of sick joke, she stepped back from Cristiano and tried to figure out what was going on; she wondered if some hidden camera recording all of this.

Cristiano eyed her, she was being calm and he hoped that this was a good sign; he didn’t want her doing something that could hurt herself.

“I’m a werewolf,” Cristiano repeated softly, he stepped towards her hoping that this was all okay and that she would believe him; he didn’t want to lose Jenna and he hoped that they would be okay.

Jenna stared at Cristiano, a horrible feeling bubbling in her stomach as betrayal filled her; she didn’t believe him for a moment and felt sick.

“Okay… I get it, this is all some sort of bet right?” Jenna spat as she ignored the pain that filled her, she had known that all of this was too good to be true; there was no way that someone like Cristiano wanted to be with someone that was so damaged like her.

Cristiano stared at Jenna, this wasn’t how he had wanted this to go and he didn’t want Jenna thinking that she was some sort of bet or a practical joke that everyone was laughing about.

“No,” Cristiano denied walking closer to Jenna but she backed away from him with tears in her eyes, the cold winter evening making the situation even worse; Cristiano couldn’t believe that this was happening.

“No I get it… I was some sort of joke right, a pity date since I saved Vitória,” Jenna accused wondering why she had been so stupid to think that he actually liked her; she didn’t believe for a moment that Cristiano was some supernatural creature that didn’t exist.

Cristiano shook his head, his chest hurting at the pain that he was causing his mate and he wanted it to stop; his mind racing as it tried to think of a way to make her see the truth.

Jenna sniffled as tear burnt her eyes, she couldn’t believe that she had actually thought that Cristiano had liked her; she wanted for once someone to like her instead of Tiffany but apparently that was too much to ask.

“Don’t worry about it, I won’t be bothering you again,” Jenna spat before she turned on her heel and ran away, she wasn’t going to let Cristiano see her cry; she didn’t even care that she was running further into the forest that surrounded Iker’s home rather than towards the road.

“Jenna please,” Cristiano shouted as his energy left him, he dropped to his knees as shock consumed him; he couldn’t believe that his mate had run away from him.

Cristiano wished that she could have thrown up or fainted, he would have preferred it to this; he now knew how Sami had felt when Lena had found out that he was a werewolf and fled.

Cristiano felt his vision blare while the pain in his chest grew, he felt his hands shake as he slowly started to lose control; his mate didn’t want him and he didn’t know what to do about it.