TEN

Word Count: 1958

~Amolet

Cian returned me to the Mortal Realm with no issue, departing without much of a goodbye. The moment he vanished, I ran back to my apartment and demanded to Lev that I was going to take him up on his offer of a vacation...Even if it's getting away for a little while.

He didn't hesitate in agreeing, so we packed and jumped into his car the next morning, heading straight to the Passion Pack. Now we have arrived, finding a hotel near the coast with a magnificent view of the ocean.

"This place is insane," I remark, staring out the class and at the endless stretch of sand, turquoise waves turning it from white to golden.

Lev appears beside me, smiling gently.

"I'm so glad I got you to agree to come," he murmurs, leaning against the glass. The sun is already starting to cast shadows into the room, vivid sunset colours bleeding into Lev's golden locks. "I know you won't regret it."

"Anything to get away from work," I tell him, smiling tightly. Thankfully he didn't question where I was last night, too distracted with my proposition to leave. I can't bear admitting to him what happened, trying to wish the memory out of existence. It's easier that way, pretending like I'm not involved in the life of a Sin like that.

"You still going to quit?" he asks, his gaze suggesting that he desperately wants me to. He's made it clear enough already.

I don't want to quit because Cian told me I should...I want to do it so I'm no longer wrapped up in this mess.

"I don't think I have any other choice," is all I respond with.

"And you're still not going to tell me why you're quitting?" he says, pushing away from the window. I still look out, wishing I could jump into the sea, as still and as calm as it is right now, and continue swimming until all of this was forgotten.

I meet my friend's gaze, knowing he's just concerned, even if he plays it off with his lose, charismatic grin. "You were right...That place is a total downer. It's best for me to find a job that better suits me."

I wonder if this is it for Cian and I. Perhaps me being drawn to him was nothing more than what anyone else would do in my situation, or maybe there is something more there. I doubt it, yet I will always wonder. It's better if he's out of my life, even if I have a suspicion that this isn't over yet.

"It's a good thing, Amolet. You need to stay away from that Immortal," Lev says, walking over to collapse onto the couch, spreading his long legs out in front of him.

I rest the back of my head against the glass as I watch him. "Mmm..."

"What aren't you telling me?" he asks, tone softening. He knows me well enough to know when there is something taking up space in my mind. He doesn't understand what has drawn me to Cian in the first place. He just sees a Sin, who is a danger to me, and nothing else.

That he can't be blamed for.

"Nothing...I'm staying away from Cian, okay?" I assure him, walking over to sit on the couch next to him.

He tilts his head at me, blue eyes so full of uncompromising emotion. "I can't wait to get my Amolet back."

My? It's not rare for Leven to say something that startles me for a moment. At times like these, it's hard to see the line between what he is intending to say as friends, and what it comes across as. I've always brushed it off as Lev being protective and affectionate. I'm the closest friend he has, and he is mine. I wouldn't have it any other way.