THIRTY SIX

Word Count: 1612

~Amolet

The moment we land back in the mortal realm, I feel as though I can breathe again.

Lev doesn't stick around, disappearing into his room. I'll have to talk to him about the kiss later, and apologise endlessly for bringing him into this mess. Sinful left Hale to sweet talk Ira some more, and intelligently returned back to the immortal realm. I want to kill him for bringing Lev into this, even though I knew it was his way of distracting Ira, giving her something to concentrate on that isn't taunting us.

Had he not been there, I may have had to kiss Cian, and to reveal that we are mates in front of Ira is exactly what I don't want.

"You didn't tell me you found your mate."

I turn, examining Cian's ridged form. It's obvious he is hiding emotion behind a blank façade, a cold edge to his dark eyes. This is my chance to test the waters, to see if Cian believes Sinful's random blurt out that I have a mate. Thanks to him, I'm going to have to carry that lie until I'm ready to reveal to him that we are actually mates.

I swallow uncomfortably, tugging my cardigan off, excited to fall into bed and sleep, even though it's morning in the mortal realm now. "I didn't think you would have cared."

"Of course I would care," he responds softly.

I rest against the back of the couch, watching him stalk toward me, hands in his pockets. He has a cool grace about him whenever the mood shifts between us and we become wholly aware that a single movement on either of our sides could have us hurtling together. His eyes turn into a molten mix of burning emotions, all of which I've done so much to stop him from unleashing upon me.

"He's nobody important," I explain mindlessly, although I taste the lie on my tongue as it comes out. It will be a miracle is Cian actually believes me. "I don't want to be with him."

"What? Why not? Is it Lev?" he asks softly, nodding toward his door.

Gritting my teeth, I shake my head, gesturing for him to follow me into my room. I have enough shame about this as it is, I don't need Lev to overhear me blatantly lie to Cian.

"No, it's not Lev," I announce lowly, striding over to rip my curtains open, figuring it's unlikely I'll sleep at this point. A dark, looming sky greets me, matching my mood. The sun seems to be cowering away, similar to how I am. Similar to how I did with Ira. I'm silently grateful we won't be needing her for the plan until later on.

The door clicks closed as Cian leans against it. "So why not? Why would you give up on the mate bond, Amolet?"

Hurt. That's what I see lingering in his taut expression.

To be rejected by a mate is no feeling anyone could envy. It's one thing for them to pass, but it's another for them to reject you in favour for another. Cian has to face both. How he can still stand, still converse and go through each day as though every inch of his soul hasn't shattered and it struggling to be mended together.

Because he's consumed by revenge. I couldn't be more satisfied at being involved with this plan.

And not just because he's my mate.

"It would be selfish of me to focus on it right now when we are trying to deal Stace and Noah," I excuse, hoping it's enough to get him off my back. The way he looks at me, lashes so thick and dark they cast slight shadows over his eyes. "I don't want to bring an innocent into this."

"You're right..." he says with a shrug.

He casts his gaze down to the floor, jaw set in a stern line. What I would do for a glimpse into his thoughts, to make this easier on me. I want to be truthful with him, to stop playing this game between him and I and just reveal it to him, regardless of whether he choses to reject me or not, or to tell me he isn't ready to be with me.