TWENTY ONE

Word Count: 2092

I'm sitting out on the balcony, considering my escape, when Stace reappears beside me.

For once, I don't flinch, his sudden appearance beside me something that I'm starting to get used to. Night has stretched into early morning at this point, and yet I refuse to sleep, even if tiredness tugs at my eyelids and weights heavy on my limbs. I'm not sleeping until I get out of this place. Noah and Stace have basically kidnapped me, not allowing me to leave, even though I've practically begged them to.

"When are you going to take me home?" I question immediately, not even giving him a chance to straighten the lapels of his jacket.

He leans against the railing, the sweet night breeze ruffling his dark curls. "When I know you are safe."

"I'm safe, I can look after myself," I mutter tiredly, knowing he either isn't going to believe me, or he isn't going to care. The problem with Immortals, I realise, is that they think so low of mortals that if they consider them in need of protection, they will completely ignore any will of that mortal. And I hate it.

"Cian isn't a normal man. He is capable of doing terrible things to you," he reminds me, as if I don't think about that often. It's not that I completely trust Cian, it's that I truly do not trust Stace and Noah anymore.

"So are you," I reply flatly.

"True." He shifts from foot to foot, crossing his arms over his chest. I look for a lingering moment at his arms, at the way his shirt is rolled up past his elbows, showing off a small amount of skin, most of it touched by tattoos. "But I am trying to protect you. If Cian can kill Noah's mate, then he can kill you."

Looking away from Cian, I look out across Noah's property, the moonlight drenching the meadows in soft blue light. "You're talking as if Abella wasn't also Cian's mate."

"She ultimately chose Noah," he replies, not sounding empathetic for Cian at all. I wonder how deep his hatred for the Sin goes, how long they have known each other and how long they have feuded. I want to ask, but I doubt I'll get much out of either of them.

"Why?" I ask. "What does Noah have that Cian doesn't?"

I look at Cian and Noah and can tell they are both unreasonably attractive, but other than being a Sin, I can't see why Abella would have wanted to reject Cian. Knowing I feel that way makes my stomach turn over, realising that it's the strange, inexplicable connection that has been growing between us, that has ultimately made me decide to work with him over Stace and Noah.

"That sounds like it is coming from someone who is very much in love with Cian," he comments, almost as if he is looking into my mind himself. "But if you must know, she had many reasons. Noah comes from the same realm as her, so they belonged together. And Cian is a Sin, you forget."

I narrow my eyes. "That doesn't mean he isn't worthy of a mate."

"She was too pure for him," he notes, making me scowl. I don't even know, nor have I ever met this Abella that they speak of, but I don't like hearing Stace talk about her like that. "And so are you."

"I really don't like you very much."

Stace turns, leaning his forearms on the railing, watching me instead of the incredible view that spreads around us with a soft smile on his face. On the horizon, I can see the city I live in, where Lev currently is, probably freaking out about where I am. I hope he doesn't call any authority to find me, since I'm already entangled with the most powerful authority in this Pack.

"Yes you do, Amolet." He nudges me, but I step away from him, irritated that he isn't taking me seriously. "You just don't trust me."

I sigh. "Take me home and I will."