TWELVE

Word count: 1761

I'm not sure what has overcome me, but seeing Noah and Stace standing before me has a cascade of fear settling upon me.

"Anything that you think I know, I don't..." I assure them worriedly, stumbling back a few steps. Lev grabs my arm, stopping me from fleeing completely. He knows there would be no use running now, with two Alpha and whoever Stace is standing about.

They must have seen me listening in to their conversation, hearing more than they intended...

"You don't need to be fearful, Amolet," Noah says smoothly, voice thick with a familiar Harmony Pack accent. I forget that Noah is my Alpha, and that anything that I do wrong could get me cast out from my Pack. "We just want to speak about Cian, and how you have come to know him."

Of damn course this is about Cian.

I wish I hadn't tried to speak to him that day, that I hadn't involved myself in whatever dirty business he associates with. Noah stares intently at me, emerald eyes glistening under the chandelier light that swings above us, lighter than Alpha Isaiah's, and just as mesmerising.

My gaze flickers to Stace, who stares absently down at the marble floor at his feet, caught in his own thoughts. I always knew he was too strange and otherworldly to just be the owner of that facility...Now it makes sense that he is involved in the deeper politics of this strange world.

"Why are you here?" I ask him. He raises his head gracefully, eyes obsidian dark and endless, like looking into an ethereal void.

"Stace is a friend of mine," Noah cuts in before Stace has a chance to speak. "He is how I know about you."

Of course.

I want to glare at Stace, but he is looking away again, focusing on thick, velvety darkness outside. Under the light, his tattoos appear still, stopping just at his jawline in the strange, unfamiliar pattern. The more I stare at it, the less it makes sense. I know once the shadows grow, they appear to move again, controlled by intangible force.

"Have I done something wrong?" I question, drawing my attention back to Noah. He crosses his arms over his chest, and I realise he too is wearing leather gloves. I shiver, hoping there isn't a sinister reason behind that detail.

"No, we understand that you have just stumbled onto a situation that you didn't mean to," Noah exclaims, taking a step toward me. I fight the urge not to step back.

"Yes, exactly...That's all this is," I stutter.

"Nevertheless, I would like to ask you some questions," Noah insists. There is no question in that, just a firm demand. If I asked to leave right now, I wouldn't be granted the luxury. I'm suddenly aware of Isaiah's presence behind me, blocking the exit.

"Am I in trouble?" I ask gently, hating the way voice quivers. Stace looks back up at me, the slightest quirk to his brow as he silently examines my expression. Can he see how frightened I am? Does he even care?

"No, not at all," Noah assures me, stepping forward again. He seems desperate for information, acting as though I'm some kind of prized possession that holds the answers to all of his problems. "We have come to realise that you have become close to Cian."

I shiver. How does he know that? How did Stace know about that in the first place, anyway? They are both very powerful people, having eyes in all sorts of places. It's a terrifying thought, thinking that they are watching me while I am at work, where I didn't think my presence was this much of a big deal.

"Close? I hardly know him at all," I comment.

"I warned you to stay away from Cian, which you were unable to do. You have put yourself in a lot of risk doing so," Stace says, speaking for the first time this night. His tone isn't accusatory...In fact, if I were not mistaken, I would think he was concerned for me.