FORTY FIVE

Word Count: 1775

~Amolet

I grit my teeth, pushing him off me.

Surprisingly, he relents, stepping. Adjusting my clothing, I look over him. Whoever he is, he's tall and well built, wearing all black clothing. Is he Aven's brother or something? He wrestled me against the wall with ease, and is acting as if he has every right to do so. Part of me is tempted to punch him across the face and let him know how much I don't appreciate his brute force.

"Freak..." I mutter, looking toward the stairs. I'm going to march down and ask Aven what is going on, and why one of her household members decided to slam me against the wall like I'm an intruder.

He steps in front of where I can walk, trapping me in again. "Who are you?"

"My name is Amolet," I say warily. If he lives here, he might think I am an intruder, and that perhaps I'm stealing. I look like a mess, too, with my strange shirt and pants I received in Death's realm, and the jacket Abella gave me.

"Why are you here?" he demands, crossing his arms over his chest. His gaze pins me in my spot, daring me to make a move to escape.

My eyes narrow. "Why are you here?"

"I'm protecting Aven." He seems reluctant to tell me anymore than that. I expected him to reveal some kind of relationship to her, that maybe he is her mate or her brother. That would be very beginnings of justifying his bizarre behaviour.

"Seems like she can protect herself," I note.

"Her mother hired me," he explains calmly. "Now tell me why you're here, before I kill you."

I blink. It's obvious Aven belongs to a affluent family, but I had no idea she would have a bodyguard protecting her...Especially one she didn't mention to me when I came in. Her families money must have drawn in a lot of enemies.

"I'm here because I was freezing outside, and this was the first place...I'm just trying to get back to my mate," I explain calmly, trying to make it clear my only intention is to get out of this place.

He leans against the railing of the stairs, looking down. "Have you contacted them?"

"No, I don't have any way to do so." It's not exactly like there's a phone line that all purebloods are tapped into. I'm going to have to find a way back to the Harmony Pack and hope he is there, and hasn't returned back to the immortal realm, because if he has, then there may truly be no hope for me to see him again.

"You need to work on that." He tilts his head back and forth.

"Why are you trying to protect her so much? Is she in danger?" I question, stepping forward. This guy is getting on my last nerve.

"Yes, now work on getting out of here." He backs away from the stairs, clearly deciding I'm not a threat, and that conversing with me for a moment longer is a waste of my time. How can Aven stand to be around someone like this all the time?

I sigh through my nose. "Fine, I'll ask her."

Stepping toward the stairs, Eryk reaches out and grabs my arm suddenly, yanking me away. I yelp, tugging my arm from his tight grip.

"Wait...No," he insists.

"Why?"

"She doesn't know her mother hired me," he admits, long borderline frantic. I frown. I knew something was off about him, and now it seems his secret is one I can use to my benefit. "And she can't know, understand?"

"Who is trying to kill her?" I demand.

"Bad people," he says in a hushed voice, pulling me further away from the stairs. I shouldn't be so curious about this. I should be taking this as my sign to get out of here before I wrap myself up in something darker than I'm already involved in, yet my curiosity burns deeply. "She is mated to a very powerful man."