FORTY

Word Count: 1627

~Amolet

It all felt like a good idea, until night fell and Sinful grabbed my hand, whisking me away from Cian and to the Immortal Realm.

The moment the world rebuilt around me, I saw Hale and Ira had already arrived. I'm not sure what I expected, but it's not the desolate landscape that we have stepped into. Barren fields stretch for mild, uninhabited and bleak looking. When I turn, a tall, straight building stands, the outside of it deteriorating.

"This is a terrible plan," I mutter tiredly. Is Stace supposed to meet us here? The place looks like it's moments away from collapsing in on itself. I wouldn't have thought Sinful was capable of occupying such a sore sight.

"Too bad it's happening anyway," Sinful notes, nudging my side.

I push away, glaring at him irritably. "What is this place?"

"A meeting place between Territories," Ira says, cutting Sinful off as she strides toward the front door, as if this place isn't a total disaster. Perhaps it was erected when they were first born, all those many centuries ago. "It's commonly used by purebloods."

"Now that you're away your our brother, anything you want to say to us about him," Sinful asks, stepping into stride with me as walk toward the building, trailing Ira and Hale, who talk quietly together.

"No...Why would I?" I say uncomfortably.

I haven't had much of a chance to stop and think about what it means to be mated to Cian. Not only is he an Immortal, but he's also a pureblood. That means no matter what, he is going to outlive me, by a long shot. Right now it doesn't bother me, but I can already feel the seeds of doubt burying themselves inside of me.

"If you ever want out, just ask," he offers, grinning mischievously down at me. I narrow my eyes suspiciously at him. I would be surprised he never gets tired of shameless flirting, but I suppose he is Lust.

"Don't you have a mate?" I question. I would love to meet the woman who is able to deal with this insufferable man.

We step inside the building, and the environment completely transforms.

It's as if we have stepped through a wall of magic, and entered an entirely different building. The place is small, but luxurious, so intimate in a way that is very immortal. The walls are a dark, rich mahogany, like the furnishings. However there is nothing personal about the space, here only for the most powerful people to convene, and nothing more.

"I'm not seducing you," Sinful murmurs lowly as we cross through a sitting room and into a dining room. I'm not exactly sure where all the staff who are meant to serve us are. "You'll have to ask Hale or Ira for that."

"You know how I feel about mortals..." Hale mutters, looking at us over his shoulder.

"Can you all shut up. I would rather not have Stace seeing us talking like this," Ira snaps, adjusting her dress. She has shed of her pretty, soft exterior tonight, knowing there is no one present to be fooled by her. Her dress is skin tight, her brown hair slicked back beautifully. I'm only slightly envious of how stunning she is.

Sinful rolls his eyes. "Don't tell me you want to sleep with him."

"I'm not going to hear that from Lust...And me sleeping with him has nothing to do with the mission." It sounds more like a warning coming from Ira, that she doesn't want anyone interrupting her own agenda.

Sinful sighs. "He has a mate."

"Who has a mate?"

We all turn to the entrance of the dining room as Stace walks in. I'm not sure what it is, but all of a sudden, the air in the room turns ice cold. He looks formidable, in all black, sauntering into the room as if he owns it. He makes it painfully obvious that Noah was never really issue, that he is going to be the hard one to rid of.