NINE

Word Count: 1669

The feeling of falling disappears as quickly as it comes.

The moment my feet feel like they are touching solid ground, my eyes fly open, looking around frantically. The fact that there is daylight outside is what strikes me first, the rest of me numb as I realise what I'm looking at.

Whatever he has done, we are no longer in the Harmony Pack. I'm now staring out a large window at the sight of snowflakes falling lazily upon thick clumps of it, deep green trees littered about, branches heaving under the weight of the snow. The Harmony Pack never sees snow, so seeing this sight, a foggy white haze blocking the distant view is unnervingly foreign.

"Where are we?" I question, whirling back to Cian, who has pulled away from me, looking as though he is anticipating this explosive reaction.

He shoves his hands into his pockets, looking uneasy. "The immortal realm."

I turn back around, staring out the window. I've only ever read about the immortal realm, and it was never detailed. The last thing I expected was...this. Everything looks vaguely normal, even if the air is quiet, snow slow and fog eerie.

"You live here?"

"I don't really live anywhere," Cian admits as I face him again. Here, his golden roots look brighter, skin more vibrant and eyes darker. For the first time, I take a moment to realise how beautiful he is here, where he is destined to be. "But I own this property, yes."

"There's nothing around here...For miles," I say, words tumbling from my mouth without any control, it seems. I can't see much, but I doubt there are many other places in this area where people would actually want to live.

Then again, I know nothing about the immortal realm.

"That's kind of the point. It's very tranquil here," Cian says, as if there aren't bigger issues to be addressed. The daunting reality of what he has done, of where he has taken me has finally sunk in. I'm in the Immortal Realm...I cannot return home without Cian personally returning me.

"You need to take me back," I tell him, taking a shuddering step toward me. He shakes his head, frowning slightly.

"Do you think I'm going to hurt you?" he asks, looking genuinely curious for my reaction.

I stop to think about that for a moment, knowing that everyone has warned me about how dangerous he is. Clearly he has been able to leave that cell and hurt me if he ever intended to, yet I can't use that as my only reason to trust him. He still brought me here, and by the looks of it, isn't intending to return me any time soon.

"You're completely capable of it," I remind him.

"We are all capable of horrible things. That doesn't mean we are inclined to do anything of that sort," he says smoothly, his eyes darkening for a moment as his intense gaze doesn't lighten. "Unless you want me to."

I brush off that comment, curious about how often he has left his cell back in the mortal realm. "How long have you been coming here?"

"Only recently," he admits, sweeping a hand through his hair, the black ends of his hair raining down over his forehead. When I look around, the place is barely furnished, not looking lived in at all. "Believe it or not, I haven't been able to leave the facility."

I frown. "Why not?"

"Magic, to keep me in, to keep others safe," he admits, something unfamiliar flickering in his gaze. I steady my breath, knowing that magic can't keep me safe here. I have to rely on Cian, to hope he doesn't have bad intentions. "It hasn't worked since you arrived."