Chapter 13 - Aelin

The rest of the evening was unfortunately uneventful but Feyre's show with Chaol's father was amazing. the next day however was a little crazy.

Everyone met in the war tent liking ready to go into battle, well, appart from Feyre who was wearing leggings and a jumper.

"Feyre, you know you can't fight like that right?" Rowan was asking.

"Yes, I'm not an idiot but I'm already wearing my armour." She replied.

"You're wearing a jumper," Hasar replied.

"Can we not get caught up on my outfit and talk strategy please," Feyre said as she crossed her arms.

An hour of strategy later the horns sounded, and we all got ready.

Feyre produced her gem, and I knew what was about to happen but everyone else was staring at her in shock. She placed it to the centre of her chest and tapped it twice.

Scaled armour covered her whole body before wings tore from her back and a blade appeared in her hand. She sheathed it down her spine between her wings. She looked around at the gobsmacked faces around her.

"What?" she asked as she tucked her wings in.

"Where did you other clothes go, where did the blade come from and how come you have wings?" Hasar asked.

"My clothes are in a pocket realm, the blade came from a pocket realm and I have wings because why not, there is a species of faerie in my world called the Illyrians, they look like this, my mate is half Illyrian and two of our inner circle are Illyrian." She replied.

We all walked to the battlements and so the day began. After only a couple hours of fighting Sartaq delivered bad news, the valg were trying to break the dam and they had almost done it.

Then I saw Elide, racing on Farasha, she wouldn't get inside before the wall of water hit.

I ran to Feyre.

"You need to fly me down there." I yelled over the din.

"What!" She yelled back.

Before I could answer there was a massive boom and the dam broke.

"I can save them, please." I yelled and without another word she scooped me into her arms and took off.

I told her where to land and she set me down, the tidal wave was massive but neither of us bulked.

"I need you to shield everyone from the steam Feyre," she nodded once, and we stood back-to-back.

A pilar of fire shot out of me and into the sky and blasted out of me either side, my own tidal wave of fire.

The two waves met with a boom, but my wall held strong, burning hotter and hotter. Behind me I knew Feyre was making her own wall, out of whatever magic she had left to shield the city from the lethal steam that broke through my wall.

The wave slowly got lower and lower as the water seeped into the earth, once it had halved, I let my flame sink as well. The strain was huge, but I kept burning, I couldn't stop yet.

Behind me Feyre let out a cry of pain but I couldn't turn to her yet. The fire seeped back into me as the wave became little more than lapping water at out ankles.

I let out a breath, turning to see how Feyre help up. There was a wall of solid ice behind me that soon melted and it too seeped into the earth, but I couldn't take my eyes off her back, the wings that were once so beautiful were now covered in burns.

"Feyre, what," it was all I could get out.

She fell to her knees and I pushed the overwhelming urge to sleep.

"The fire was too hot, I couldn't shield myself and them, I chose them." She got out before falling limp.

A hawk dove for us as I too fell to the side, letting the peaceful darkness reach out and take me.