Seven

Marissa does not really fancy going up to the rooftop, but Finnick seems to be all for the suggestion, so she agrees and the three of them make their way up to the roof of the training centre. The view from the top is always lovely but, as the building is so tall, it is always terribly windy, so Marissa had grabbed a sweater that she wraps around herself as they step out into the chilling air.

There are four figures already on the rooftop and, they make their way over to Marissa, Finnick and Sterling. The redhead's eyebrows furrow when she realises that the figures are Haymitch and Cinna from the District Twelve team, Chambray, and Plutarch Heavensbee. Plutarch Heavensbee is the newest Head Gamemaker after Seneca Crane's sudden death last year.

"What's going on?" Finnick demands, confused as to why the three of them would be conversing with the Head Gamemaker.

"Finnick, just listen," Sterling places her hand on his shoulder in an attempt to calm his accusatory tone.

"Now, we'll have to be quick. Beetee has set up a loop on the cameras so all the Capitol can see at the moment is an empty rooftop and he's disabled the mics, but we don't know how much time that gives us," Plutarch is the first of the four to speak. His words cause Finnick and Marissa's eyebrows to raise because the precautions in place mean that whatever they are about to be told is dangerous.

"I'm sure you two are smart enough to have figured out that this whole Quell is being used as a way to punish and kill Katniss and Peeta?" Haymitch says next.

"And to scare the districts," Marissa adds. Haymitch nods in response. "President Snow wants to stop the districts rebelling."

"Exactly," Haymitch says. "Now, how would you two like a chance to get out of that arena alive?"

"What do you mean?" Marissa eyes the group suspiciously, her eyes lingering for a moment on Chambray and Cinna, who seem to be quietly looking over some outfit designs.

"I mean, we have a plan and, if it goes right both of you could get out of that arena and help start the rebellion against Snow," Haymitch explains.

"It's a complex plan but, Beetee has come up with a way to get you all out of the arena," Plutarch interjects. "We need you to keep Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark alive. Johanna, Blight, Wiress and Beetee as well as the Morphlings are aware of the plan. Katniss is the face of the new rebellion, the Mockingjay, but she won't cooperate if Peeta doesn't make it.

"You need to be willing to die to protect them," Plutarch finishes. Marissa's eyebrows are knitted together, a deep frown forming on her face.

Haymitch notices the couple's hesitation and sighs, running his hand over his face before continuing to persuade them.

"I know it's a lot to ask for but, what do you have to lose?"

"Mira," Marissa whispers. "What happens when we get out of the arena? We can't go back home and if we leave our families there, Snow will kill them."

"If you get out of the arena, you'll go to District Thirteen-"

"There is no District Thirteen," Finnick interrupts, narrowing his eyes in suspicion.

"After the bombings from the Capitol, District Thirteen moved underground. We can get Mira out of District Four and, into Thirteen where she will be safe."

"Just think, if this works, there won't be any more Hunger Games," Sterling finally says, trying to convince her victors to participate in the plan. "You could both escape the arena alive and, if you have kids in the future, they'd be safe. You wouldn't have to hide your relationship to protect Mira, anymore. You'd all be safe."