Twenty-Four

Marissa does not know why but, the Capitol keep her and Peeta together at all times. They've been assigned District Twelve's apartment in the Tribute Centre as their living quarters. Marissa is glad that they're not in the District Four one. It holds too many memories of tributes she couldn't mentor, of her first Games and, of her and Finnick.

Finnick Odair, who has been captured by the Capitol. Finnick Odair, who has most likely been punished for Marissa's attempts to attack President Snow. Finnick Odair, who Snow is using as a weapon against her.

Her neck brace is off now and, she can speak although she rarely does. She only speaks when Peeta asks her something or when she is told to. The bruising on her neck is still visible, now a sickly yellow colour but, at least it's healing.

Marissa spends most of her time staring out of the window, wondering if Thirteen got Mira to safety as they promised they would. She knows that they did not rescue her or Finnick but, maybe they had a chance to save Mira. Peeta, however, occupies himself by building card houses. Marissa will occasionally knock one he's working on over, just to irritate him which, often has the opposite effect because he normally just laughs.

Today, Peeta does not make any card houses. He spends the day pacing the apartment anxiously which, only upsets Marissa. She cannot stare out of the window and think about things to distract herself because she can see his reflection in it.

"Marissa," Peeta stands closer to her than she had realised and, she jumps back, startled. "Did you know about the rebel plan?"

"Yes," is all Marissa says, her voice still a little hoarse from the damage to her vocal cords. Sadness and, what seems to be betrayal seep into Peeta's eyes, and his posture slackens slightly.

"You didn't tell me."

"I wasn't allowed to," Marissa tells him. "I'm sorry."

"Why not?"

"I think they were worried President Snow would find out," Marissa says. "I would have told you if I was allowed to. It's my fault that you're even here in the first place."

"What do you mean?"

"I was supposed to cut out your tracker. That was my job... and Finnick's... but, I couldn't even do that right," Marissa shakes her head before leaning it back against the window. "And now you're trapped here. And... and it's all my fault."

Marissa turns away from Peeta, a sob wracking through her body. Peeta is a little taken aback, her tears surprising him. She hasn't shown any emotion besides anger since they first woke up in the Capitol. Peeta touches his hand to her shoulder, unsure of how to comfort her but, trying his best. She sits rigidly for a moment before relaxing into his touch, sagging into his arms, and weeping.

"Marissa..."

"I'm sorry," she whimpers, wiping at her tears. "I'm sorry. I don't have any right to be upset. You're the one who should be upset with me. You... you should hate me! I'm the reason you're here and it's... it's all my fault and... and they're hurting Finnick and it's my fault!"

"Marissa, I don't hate you," Peeta says softly, resting his head on top of hers. "And, you don't know that they're hurting Finnick."

"I do! Because... I tried to punch President Snow and they didn't punish me for it! They must be punishing Finnick instead," Marissa almost shouts. "I should've never gotten so angry."

"It's not your fault, Marissa. He was provoking you. He wanted you to get angry."

"I know but, I let him get to me and, now they're hurting Finnick."

"Marissa, did you even see Finnick?"

"No," Marissa brushes her tears from her cheeks. "Snow just said that they have him."

"Don't you think that if they had Finnick they would have shown you him?" Peeta reasons and Marissa frowns, her eyebrows drawing together. He lowers his voice to a whisper now, weary of people overheating. "Maybe he's just lying to upset you. In the arena, when Finnick was being attacked by those jabberjay's, you were so upset that he was in pain."

"You think they're lying to hurt me?"

"It makes sense."

Marissa stays within Peeta's embrace, pleased with the comfort of her friend as she ponders the idea that President Snow may have been lying to her. Marissa wouldn't put it past him but, even if she accepts that Snow may be lying to her, there's a possibility that he isn't and Finnick really is being held and tortured.

"I was going to ask him to have children with me if the rebel plan worked," Marissa suddenly says. Peeta raises his brows in surprise but doesn't speak. "I asked him when we were told about the rebel plan if he ever thought about having kids and he said he thought about it all the time."

"What would you call them?" Peeta asks.

"I don't know," Marissa shrugs. "I never picked out names because I didn't think I'd ever have kids. I think we'd probably name them after Mags and Finnick's little sister, Everley. Would you and Katniss ever have children?"

"I... uh, I don't think Katniss would want children with me," Peeta breathes out a humourless laugh, shaking his head. Marissa turns in his embrace to look up at him.

"Why not?"

"She doesn't really love me. She was just acting to keep us both alive."

"I thought that, too, until you hit the force field and died," Marissa tells him. "She loves you. She just might not know it yet."

After this, the two of them part ways. Peeta decides to build another house of cards and, instead of staring out of the window, Marissa watches him. She giggles when he accidentally knocks what he has built over and he lets out a frustrated grumble. He tries to rebuild it but, a group of peacekeepers burst into the room before he can start again and two of them seize him painfully by the arms.

Marissa bolts to her feet, rushing over to them when she sees Peeta wincing in pain.

"No, stop it!" she cries tugging on one of the peacekeeper's arms. "Stop, you're hurting him."

"Marissa, it's fine," Peeta says although he is visibly panicked by the peacekeeper's sudden appearance.

"Where are you taking him?" Marissa demands, trying to follow them as they drag him out of the room but, one of the peacekeepers delivers a strong punch to the side of her face and she is knocked to the ground. The doors slam shut, locking and she is left alone with the throbbing in her cheekbone.

She sits on the sofa, chewing on her lip and silently wishing that Finnick is with her to plait her hair or hold her close because he's always been good at calming her down but, he's not here. She anxiously runs her trembling fingers across the smooth fabric of the sofa and waits for Peeta to return.

The large television turns on on its own, spooking Marissa and, she watches it, intrigued. The first night they were put in here, Marissa and Peeta had tried to turn on the television for around an hour before they gave up so, it must be something Snow wants them to see. Caesar Flickerman appears on the screen first, his face painted and his suit sparkly. When the camera pulls back it becomes clear why they had taken Peeta, he's Caesar's guest.

"So... Peeta... welcome back."

❛ ━━━━━━・❪⚓️ ❫ ・━━━━━━ ❜