Thirteen

Marissa's fingers work at a tiresome pace, weaving the two-metre-long blades of grass into mats. Finnick is beside her, his side pressed up against her, as he works on his own mat. Although terrible with knots, Marissa has always been particularly good at weaving different kinds of mats and baskets. Mags taught her and Mira when they were little.

The nut Marissa ate earlier has had no ill effects on her, so Peeta is collecting bunches of them. He fries them against the force field, which is about ten metres away from where Finnick has chosen for them to set up camp, and then peels the shells off. He piles the meats upon a mat that Marissa has already finished weaving.

Katniss stands guard, the events of the day leaving her rather agitated. She fidgets on the spot for a while, shifting her weight every other second.

"Finnick, why don't you stand guard and I'll hunt around some more for water," Katniss finally says. Nobody is particularly thrilled with the idea of sending Katniss alone, but the threat of dehydration hangs over them. They are in dire need of water. "Don't worry, I won't go far."

"I'll go, too," Peeta says.

"No, I'm going to do some hunting if I can. I won't be long."

And so, Katniss departs from the group. Marissa silently pleads that the girl on fire manages to find them some water, desperate to quench her thirst.

"I'm sorry about your nose," Peeta apologises to Marissa, aware that he had knocked her down when he hit the force field. His words make her laugh. He had been dead earlier this day and, he is apologising to her for hurting her nose. "What's so funny?"

"You were dead, and you're worried about my nose?"

"I guess I need to sort out my priorities," Peeta chuckles, shaking his head as he peels the shell off of yet another nut.

"Are you feeling any better?" Marissa asks him.

"Yeah. Just tired and thirsty."

"Hopefully, Katniss finds some water," Finnick says, armed with his trident as he stands guard.

"Finnick, can you help me?" Marissa asks as she finishes off another grass mat.

"What with? Are you okay? Is something wrong?"

"I'm fine. I just need you to tie these up for me," she passes him the grass mats and an armful of vines so he can tie them into a shelter. "Thank you. I'll keep watch."

Marissa takes one of her throwing knives out of her belt, weighing it up in her hands and patrolling around their camp. There is no sign of anybody near them and after a while, Marissa grows bored. She turns her attention to Finnick and Peeta. Finnick is grinning as he attempts to teach a very confused Peeta how to tie one of the grass mats up.

"No! Look," Finnick orders, taking the vine off of Peeta and knotting it.

"Finnick, have you ever considered that you might be a bad teacher?" Marissa teases, running her hand along Finnick's shoulders.

"I'm not a bad teacher," Finnick argues, defensive. "You're all just slow learners."

"I guess that's the only plausible reason," Marissa remarks, sarcastic. "I'm going to make us some bowls."

"Could you show me how to make them?" Peeta asks her politely and, she nods as she sits down, placing one of her knives on the floor in front of her. She pats the jungle floor next to her and Peeta takes a seat, watching intently as she begins to show him the simplest way to weave a bowl. He copies her actions, weaving the grass together in the shape of a bowl and grinning when he finishes. "Is this right?"