Chapter 9

·~

·~

"I wanna know the joke, come on!"

·~

Season 3 episode 3
"The end of the Affair"

"Welcome back to Chicago, Stefan."

Holly did not like the sound of that. After last night's events Klaus was unusually quiet, his thinking face was on and as much as she found him handsome it was worrying to see him like that. He didn't even throw any sarcastic remarks when she commented on how awfully brooding her older brother was. Which was weird because Klaus took every opportunity to tease him for that.

Holly knew what Chicago meant to Stefan. The ripper of Montgomery that had enjoying playing with his food in the most monstrous ways. She knew what coming back to this place would do and bring to her brother. Only pain and sorrow and memories he so badly wanted to run from.

Klaus had stepped out of the car first, Stefan hesitated for a moment as Holly gripped his hand in assurance. He glanced down at their combined hands and released a sigh, he at least had something to keep him together. The only reason he hadn't given in to the urges was his baby sister. And although he did not enjoy the attention Klaus was giving her nor her response to it, he was glad that she was there with him, to bring him comfort and remind him of who he is.

To be his anchor.

Stefan, with newfound determination, exited the vehicle and shut the door behind him as he took in his surrounding. Whilst Klaus rounded the car to open the door for the younger Salvatore who had already thrown the car door open and shut it forcefully with a glare etched in her eyes.

Klaus smirked.

Holly rolled her eyes as she walked past him, not wanting to deal with his obnoxious mood swings as she stood beside her brother.

"What are we doing here?"Stefan called out with a sigh as the siblings followed after the hybrid.

"I know how much you loved it here. Bringing back memories of the good old ripper days."Klaus dramatically recited, as Holly clicked her tongue in disapproval but said nothing.

"Blacked out most of them. A lot of blood, a lot of partying. Details are all blur."The strain in Stefan's voice was a dead give away for the pressure he must have been feeling in that exact moment. Recalling the 'good old ripper days' as Klaus liked to taunt.

"Well that is a crying shame. The details are what makes it legend. Chicago was magical."Klaus gallantly spoke as both Holly and Stefan breathed in deeply.

"Yeah I'll take your word for it. Like I said, I don't remember most of it."Stefan backed away from the hybrid, returning to his sister who was leaning against the car.