Chapter 20

•~

•~

"How come Nik gets the pretty soulmate and I don't?"

"Because your soul isn't pretty, now shut it and let me kill your mother in peace."

•~

Season 3 Episode 15
"All My Children"

Holly hadn't slept.

It was the first night within the arms of her lover that Holly hadn't been able to shut her eyes, constantly checking whether he breathed, making sure she could feel his heart push against her ears. She couldn't allow herself the luxury of rest whilst battling the unknown of whether or not her family would live to see the sun rise.

Klaus, who was soundly asleep beside her, still felt the whisper of her touch and the ache of her worry that spread through his chest. He held her tighter against him, trying to assure her that nothing could happen to him, that in the morning he would greet her with a smile and a kiss. As he always did.

And that morning was no different.

Except for the obvious tension within the air that hung around the mansion that the couple tried their best to ignore, but they couldn't control the worst of their thoughts.

"You haven't slept,"Klaus had murmured with the first light of the sun, his words muffled by her hair, and the blonde vampire grimaced in response.

"I couldn't bring myself to."Holly bit her lip, feeling the saltiness of her tears as they spread down the skin of her cheeks, not daring to face him. Not wanting him to see her in such a state.

Klaus sighed, knowing very well what she was hiding by refusing to turn and look at him, but he was not having it. Klaus grasped her by the waist, pulling her to lay on her back with him on top of her, his slender fingers wrapping around her wrists and holding them above her head, preventing her from covering her tear stained cheeks from his view.

"Why?"Was the simple question that slipped past his pink coloured mouth that Holly adored, but now she found it to be the source of further tears.

"I simply feel useless, Nik. I have all this power, and no idea how to properly use it. If I did, perhaps I could have prevented whatever it is Esther did, I could have made sure no harm came to any of you."Holly cried out, screwing her eyes shut and turning away from him, trying to calm her breathing as she knew what would come of her uncontrolled emotions.

What was left of Klaus's soul was slowly shattering beneath her fingertips. How could she think so low of herself? Accommodate her newly found powers with such responsibility? She was strong, yes, but she was still learning and researching whatever it is she truly was.