Chapter 6

It was the same old hut. Alex remembered his stay there. Apart from the sixth bunk, nothing had changed. Alex dumped his bag on the floor beside his bunk. He was first to enter the cabin and the first thing he had done as he entered, had been searching all possible ways out. The window was too small to pass through. If he would still be the size he had been at fourteen, he would have passed through, but it was not the case. So that left the door as the only way out. He chose the bunk which was nearest to the door. Alex noticed that their schedules were on their bunks.
The rest of k-unit came in after him. Ben took the bunk opposite his.
"We need to evaluate you," Wolf addressed Cub "There is about 30 minutes before lunch. It seems that this time you can use a gun, Cub. We will assess you on shooting, first."
When they arrived at the shooting range, M-unit were already practising there. The shooting instructor approached them with a confused expression on his face. He was not expecting k-unit to be there.
"Sir," Wolf greeted for whole unit," we're here to evaluate Cub." It was then that the instructor noticed the two additional members of k-unit," you can shoot, kid?"
"Yes sir," Alex said and mumbled something about not being a kid, taking the gun the instructor was handing him." You"ll shoot that cardboard first," he pointed at a cardboard in the shape of a man which had two red dots; one where the heart should be and one between where the eyes should be." Then you will shoot moving targets," the man continued. Alex nodded and moved within the target's range. Alex cleared his mind and put a blank expression on his face, as he had been instructed by SCORPIA's shooting instructor on malagasto, before raising the gun. He didn't pause to aim before firing ten times, emptying the ammo. He went to fetch the cardboard to find that he got all bullseyes.
The continuous shooting had attracted M-unit's attention. They were grouped beside k-unit and the instructor. Everyone's, except Fox's, jaws were hanging wide open. Ben already knew about Alex's shooting skills. They frequently went to the shooting range not far from the house during their free times." How did you do that?" Eagle asked, still shocked. Cub just shrugged." Where did you learn to shoot like that, Cub?" the shooting instructor asked. "Classified," both Cub and Fox replied immediately. Alex moved to where the moving targets were and repeated the process of shooting. He got, again, all bullseyes. This time, no questions were asked. Cub put the gun on a nearby table before exiting the shooting range, Fox to his side and the rest of k-unit behind. Realising he did not know where to go to, Cub turned to Wolf. The latter thought for a minute before saying," let's go to the assault course. We have been in the shooting range for only five minutes. You can go through the assault course a couple of times before lunch."
The assault course was like Alex remembered; there was no added or removed obstacle. "Okay, Cub. Your last record was 17 minutes. You must do better than that," Wolf said. Cub nodded and placed himself at the start of the course, waiting for Wolf's signal before starting. His rapidity and agility attracted the soldiers, who were not far from the assault course's attention. The sergeant, seeinjg his soldiers gathering together, came to shout at them to return to whatever they had been doing when he noticed what had their full attention. He could not make out who was the runner but he knew it was Cub because the latter was nowhere to be seen. Cub finally finished, not as out of breath as he had been when he had run the assault course at fourteen, and headed to k-unit, not looking up.
When he looked up, he noticed the crowd, which could not go unoticed, and asked," it was that bad?" Everyone, including Cub, looked at Snake who was holding the timer, expecting the man to tell them the time. But it never came, at least, not from Snake. The latter looked at the timer, then at Cub, and at the timer, again at Cub,  and at the timer. It was clear he was not going to say anything. The sergeant finally came next to Snake and grabbed the timer. As he saw it, he was shocked, but not as shocked as Snake that he couldn't talk." You've beaten the record, Cub. 10 minutes and 3 seconds," the sergeant said. The soldiers' expressions showed how shocked they were. The record had not been beaten for years. They would not have expected it to be beaten by a kid." What was the record?" Cub asked. He was proud of himself. After all, who wouldn't be? " It was 10 minutes and 24 seconds. By John Rider aka Jaguar. He had been the best soldier here. The record hadn't been beaten for eighteen years," the Sarge replied. Although he did not show it, he was actually impressed. Cub would be last person he would have expected to beat the record." Oh," Cub managed to say while trying to imagine who his father had once been.' Rider...' Snake thought." He was your father?" he asked Cub. The latter only nodded." You are Alex Rider?" the Sergeant asked. Cub looked at the Sarge, confused at how he knows him, but hid it and nodded." It explains a lot," the man said. The shooting instructor had reported Cub's shooting skills to him." Sir?" this time, Cub didn't hide his confusion." Rumors. About your missions," the Sarge said at Cub's questioning face.
The sergeant shouted at the soldiers to disperse themselves. Cub went through the assault course once more before heading to the mess hall for lunch, accompanied by the other members of k-unit.