Chapter 4- Why Are You Here?

My name is Kusuo Saiki and it's Monday which means first day of school with Satou Hiroshi at my school.

He asked me to be his friend and, to my advantage, completely misinterpreted what I said about admiring him. He thinks I meant in a friend way, he couldn't be more wrong, but it's normal to like a celebrity this way. The real problem is my neighbor/crush would also happen to be Hiroshi.

I sat at my desk and stared ahead, getting lost in my thoughts. It was hard to stay zoned in with all the sounds of people's voices flooding into my head. It honestly was kind of annoying.

"Hey, can I sit here?" I heard someone ask. I emptily nodded. That is, until I realized I recognized that voice.

I whipped around to see THE Satou Hiroshi looking at me, smiling, pointing to a seat next to me. I stared back at him.

"What are you doing here?" I signed.

"I told you I was transferring to your school didn't I?" Satou said, "Well, I'm here. You did know I'm transferring here right?"

"Not to my class!" I signed, "I thought you'd just pass me in the hallways or something."

"Oh well I was in Class 2 originally," he explained, "But someone in Class 3 wanted to transfer to Class 2 so I ended up here."

"Fine," I signed with a huff, "But just don't attract attention, I try to maintain an ordinary life."

"No problem," Satou said, "I'll just be sitting here!"

I continued to stare off into space. The noise surrounding me being the only thing crowding my mind. I eventually closed my eyes to cut the problem of the bright lights out of my current list of problems.

'Is Saiki alright?' I heard the sound of Hiroshi's voice, 'He looks like he's tired, but he isn't sleeping. It kinda reminds me of Ren.' Who's Ren?

"Hey Satou?" I signed and got his attention.

"Hmm?" He hummed to show he was paying attention.

"Who's Ren?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" He looked confused at me. I realized that he didn't know about my telepathy and asking this was weird.

"Oh you were thinking out loud," I lied, I hated doing it, but I did, "And you said something about someone named Ren."

"Oh well Ren is my little brother," he explained, "I was just thinking about how he sometimes closes his eyes and faces ahead when things get too loud for him."

"Oh yeah you mentioned him before," I signed, remembering that he has a little brother, "You mentioned that he was autistic too. Yeah, I guess it is a little loud, but I'm fine, things will be quieter during class."

"Oh okay no problem," he said, "Just let me know if you need help or something."

"No problem," I signed.

Class soon began, but I didn't pay much attention. It wasn't easy to do so with all those thoughts I have to listen to on the daily. Not that it matters either since I already know everything being taught and if I really want to learn I could just listen to someone's thoughts and retain the entire subject.

I decided that instead of exhausting myself with paying attention I would just look over at Satou. He was actually a pretty good student, working hard to take notes, something I just did with thoughtography, and thinking hard about his answer, but in the end, it was all average. And that's what I adore about Satou. He's just so ordinary without trying. I wish I could be like him.

Eventually class went by. Rather uneventful, but it went by. Which of course meant cleaning time.

The teacher, who's design remains so inconsistent describing them would be a nightmare, is aware of my strictness to staying on routine and how I can get when I stray from it. Because of this, the entire class knows that my job is to clean the windows.