8. PROTECTING HER

Their progress through the woods during the night was difficult and dangerous, and therefore slow.

The young Lord knew his land and if he wasn't completely wrong he'd been walking along the borders to another Lord's land.

Lord Girards Land.

Although it was a detour to his own Manor Lord Rowan thought it to be a good chance to uphold his contact to the neighboring Lord to pay him a visit.

They could seek refuge there and he could find out any news regarding King Ameer.

Lord Rowan was more cautious now when it came to his other slaves but he didn't think they would try anything after having seen what consequences came with their actions.

Taking regular breaks and drinking by the river they needed until noon the next day when they finally arrived. Mariann fought her bruised body on this long journey and was thankful for their breaks. For whatever reason Monor's blood-covered face kept creeping into her mind but she pushed it back.

She tried her best not to think about it.

Being able to see the towers of the Manor, Lord Rowan briefed the remaining slaves.

"I expect you to be on your best behavior, we are going to stay with a man of high ranking."

Astounded by the huge cobbled building with towers and guards, Mariann was intrigued.

They were greeted with the utmost respect by a servant who brought the unexpected visitors inside.

The servant was short and well-dressed and seemed to recognize their master. Although still not sure what they were doing here Mariann, Laria and the others greeted politely and held their heads low.

The inside of the manor was warm although radiating a cold feeling. The stone walls were lit by torches and the ground had carpets along the hallways.

Waiting in the entrance hall, Lord Rowan seemed a little tenser than before.

Mariann and Laria had been in Manors of her previous Lords but had never come through an entrance like this. They'd always gone around the back with the other slaves.

"Lord Rowan, what do I owe the pleasure?" A male voice echoed through the room when a man with long hair and a long cloak came walking down a pair of stairs towards them.

Smiling politely, Rowan spoke, "Isn't it always a good time to visit a fellow Lord?"

Both bowed slightly when they finally stood face to face. "Although a place to stay would be much appreciated," Rowan added in a more serious tone.

"You're are always welcome, my friend," Lord Girard said patting Rowan's shoulder.

Although their conversation seemed peaceful there had been a disliking between the two before. Lord Girard still did not see someone like Rowan as a man of power.

Not when he had been a mere thief before being made a Lord by their King as the rumors had told him.

Mariann looked at the remarkably handsome Lord in front of her. His long clean hair and matching beard along with his well-built body and visibly good posture. The only thing she didn't like was his eyes.