29. TRAITOR

The ballroom was now filled with music, laughter, servants rushing about, and the smell of alcohol.

After most of the guests had arrived the King also joined the ball, making an announcement about how he wished everyone a joyous evening and thanking them for coming. His small entrance speech was loudly applauded before he'd made his way to his throne from which he'd not gotten up since.

Mariann stood at the outer side of the hall trying not to stand out. Being a well-known Lord, Rowan had constantly pulled into conversation with other Lords or nobles, leaving Mariann by herself.

Apart from curious glances from others, she'd not been approached until now which she was thankful for. If they were to ask her who she was she wouldn't even know what to answer. Somehow she enjoyed just watching the crowd as they talked and laughed.

She'd lost sight of Lord Rowan until he finally emerged from the mass with an apologetic look on his face.

"I am sorry for leaving you alone like this but I can not go about ignoring the others."

Mariann gave him an understanding smile. Suddenly the music stopped and a new song was put on. It was more upbeat and quicker. Rowan cheekily grinned at Mariann, taking her hand, catching her by surprise.

"Dance with me," he grinned beginning to pull her towards the center of the mass where many couples had joined in to dance.

"My Lord, I have not danced a day in my life before," Mariann squeaked, but Rowan turned and pulled her in.

He leaned down and softly whispered into her ear, "Let me guide you then."

He placed her hands on his shoulder and slid his own around her waist.

"My Lord, I don't know what I'm doing," Mariann mumbled sheepishly making the young Lord grin. He began taking small steps back and forth gently pulling her along.

Mariann grew even more nervous as she noticed that others were now watching them. Rowan noticed and reassuringly tightened his grip around her waist a little. Their eyes met, and Rowan said, "Just concentrate on me, my love."

The words made Mariann's stomach fill with butterflies. His cold blue eyes looked at her so gently, as she watched the man she loved reassure her. Her heart didn't stop beating at full speed but the reason for it changed. She loosened up concentrating on only him. His perfect smile, his jawline, his strand of hair that fell onto his forehead.

For Rowan, everything seemed to fade. For him, it was only the two of them and the music. Her eyelashes fluttered at him putting him in trance. Her lips looked so soft and he urged himself not to lean down and kiss them.

He realized that she'd relaxed and took one of her hands holding it above her. In a turning motion, he let her spin in front of him, surprising her.

Catching herself enjoying it she did it again smiling. As she spun, the world seemed to stand still. Her hair and dress gently swayed in the motion, and paired with her gentle smile, she looked like a work of art. Rowan's heart almost couldn't take it. Her sheer beauty and the happiness in her eyes as she looked at him made his heart flutter.

At this moment he realized something. Something he'd been thinking about. He was going to ask her for her hand in marriage if it meant that he could spend the rest of her life with her. It didn't matter what anyone thought. Her very existence gave him everything. She motivated him, she gave her bliss and a reason to live. Up until now, everything he'd done seemed meaningless. It was her that gave him a purpose.