22. LIMIT

-two months later-

Mariann walked back into her shared maid's chamber after a long hard day of work. For the first time in a while, she'd let herself think about the young Lord.

Laying down on her bed she was the first to be back as Laria and Alec were probably still busy.

It still caused her heart to ache after so much time had passed. She'd seen the Lord around the Manor frequently, accompanied by his bailiff or guards. He never looked at her and she went on with her day without trying to think of him.

The hard labour of keeping the huge Manor clean and preparing for festivities had kept her from thinking about him, but seeing him hurt.

He'd not once had her fetched to train her powers during all this time.

She lifted her arms and pulled back her sleeves. The once so painful burns had left her with large white scares on her lower arms but she couldn't compare the pain she'd felt to the one she was still feeling.

A noblewoman, dressed in the finest fabrics had come to visit the Lord twice. When she first arrived the Lord threw a feast in her honor. Rumors around the Manor spoke of an arranged marriage that might take place sometime soon.

Mariann had seen him lead her around the Manor's garden. Her beautiful dark, straight hair swayed in the wind with her perfectly stitched dress. The servants were very fond of the Lady she was kind to everyone but Mariann couldn't help but dislike her. She had no say in anything but she couldn't shake her feeling of sadness.

Lady Arianna, or Annabel or something like that was her name.

Mariann curled up trying to catch the sleep she actually needed but her throughs revolved around her master.

His shoulder seemed to be all healed up after so much time, but she couldn't tell for sure since they didn't speak.

Laria had grown a small bump and Alec was in the stables every day.

They were still being frowned upon by the servants and the housekeeper but after all this time they mostly ignored them thankfully.

A knock on the door ripped her out of her thoughts. Mariann didn't get up, assuming it was either Laria or Alec.

"I'm coming in," a male voice said as the door swung open. It was a man's voice so she sat up.

Dagaric looked at the woman on her bed before his eyes looked around the small room.

Surprised Mariann already had a hunch why he was here. Although it was still early. Anyone could simply walk by and see them talking.

"I'm sent by the Lord, once the woman and the boy sleep you are to go to his chambers."
The bailiffs voice was distant and although he spoke to her it felt like he was talking to the walls. He avoided looking at her directly, with his chin up.

Mariann nodded, waiting for him to continue but he simply left and closed the door behind himself.

Mariann's nerves suddenly got the better of her. After all this time he called her to come to him? She knew it was only for training but quite honestly she didn't know how to speak to her master. Also, she'd not used her powers in so long that she wasn't even sure if she could simply do it again.