20. HURTING HER

Mariann didn't have the time to react as her adrenaline started breaking down, and her arms began stinging.

She hissed in pain looking down on her burnt flesh. It was red and swollen and to her surprise, it had almost completely stopped hurting during her attack.

"Rowan," she said gritting her teeth trying to keep it together.

"Go cool it in the lake!" He commanded as he watched the woman get up and do as she was told.

Kneeling by the water she placed her bottom arms in its cooling liquid.

Almost immediately the stinging stopped letting her, exhale in relief.

Moments later Rowan could finally find the strength to get up and join Mariann who'd not left her position by the lake.

He was careful not to step on the bodies of the deceased.

Without warning, he took the bottom of Marianns cloak and began horizontally ripping pieces off of it.

Mariann lifted herself trying to see what he was doing but her burns immediately began stinging once she left the water so she leaned back into it.

Rowan now had two long strips of cloth from which he ripped one into two pieces.

Kneeling next to her he soaked the two pieces of cloth in water and began leaning in closer over Mariann.

"Wrap your arms in these," he said holding it in front of her.

Ignoring the pain she tied both of the soaked cloths around her arms, making its end hang loosely. She carefully tried tucking the ends away under the make-due bandages.

Rowan sat back holding his shoulder trying to deal with the pain.

"I need your help," he whispered feeling dumb for asking her for assistance.

Mariann turned to her master who seemed to be turning paler by the minute. She took the cloth he had left from his hands and understood that he couldn't bind it around his arm without help.

Ignoring the stinging in her arms she wrapped the fabric under his armpit and over his shoulder. Having a hard time doing it from the side she contemplated.

The wound needed to be bound but her master looked so horrible with his baggy eyes and drained expression.

Mustering up the courage she got up, stepped over his crossed legs, and sat down on his lap.

Surprised by the sudden close contact the Lord lifted his brows as Mariann who tried playing it down, "I can't treat the wound otherwise."

Mariann undid the bandages again trying to do it tighter to stop the bleeding. She reached around his neck to get a better grip on the bandage leaning in closer like an embrace.

Out of reflex Lord Rowan raised his free arm to embrace her but stopped right before touching her back.

What was he doing?

He slowly let his hand sink again. He watched the girl whose big eyes concentrated on what she was doing.

His face was only centimeters from hers and his eyes traced her features carefully, from her hairline down to her lips. She subconsciously stuck out her tongue a little wetting her lips in thought.