28. BLESSING

Mariann followed Rowan and a knight through the castle's hallways. They seemed never-ending.

The small but powerful chain around her neck was draining her of any energy. Since they'd left the lake they'd barely spoken, which was mostly due to her being tired, but there was still tension between Rowan and Mariann.

Despite being exhausted she still marveled at the walls of the castle. Beautiful metal torch holders, vases, and occasionally a painting decorated its inside.
The last time she'd seen the inside of the castle she was harshly dragged by a knight, which explained why she didn't remember anything in detail.

The clinking and clanking of armor getting louder made Mariann curious and she peeked in between her Lord and the knight to get a better look.

A thin man wearing a long red cloak and large jewels around his neck approached the three of them. He was accompanied by two of his knights.

Rowan wanted to bow to the King who'd surprisingly come their way but didn't when he came in for a hug instead. "How are you, dear friend?" King Ameer asked Rowan casually clapping him on the back.

"I am good, and how are you doing?" Rowan laughed at his unprofessional behavior.

"Well as you can tell I am all patched up again," the King smiled, leaning back out of the embrace.

Before Rowan could say anything else, he saw the King fixate his eyes on Mariann, who breathlessly admired the most beautiful piece of jewelry she'd ever seen. The king's golden crown looked heavy but fierce and the colorful gems that were embedded in every spike sparkled.

"Is this one yours?" The king asked without a single change in his facial expression. Rowan turned to Mariann who was still bluntly staring at the king's crown.

In a panic he grabbed her by the neck, pushing her head down and making her bow. "Yes, your highness, I apologize for her rudeness. I have yet to teach her any manors."

Mariann was annoyed by Rowan's remark but also panicked for misbehaving in front of a king.
"How odd," the king mumbled making Lord Rowan grow uneasy.

Rowan wanted to apologize again, but before he could the king went on, "To see that you of all people would take a slave, Lord Rowan."

Not knowing what to say, Rowan, looked back at Mariann, who he was still holding down.

The King changed the subject rather quickly, "The feast will be at dawn, with the other Lords. I will be expecting you."

"Yes, of course, your highness," Rowan assured him. They all went their ways and finally, Mariann stood upright again but made sure to keep her eyes glued to the floor from now on.

When they arrived at Lord Rowan's guest chambers the knight had asked if he should lock up Mariann but Rowan insisted that she stay with him as a personal servant during his stay.

Finally, the door to the chambers closed leaving Mariann and Rowan alone.
Lord Rowan began lecturing her about how to behave when in the presence of the King but she wasn't paying attention. She marveled at the room. The walls were all covered by red fabric and simply everything seemed to be laced in gold. To the right were a large stone bathtub and a fireplace to the left. Straight ahead was a massive window leading to a balcony and on the right was a huge canopy bed with the most delicate stitchwork of flowers Marianns ever seen.