Chapter 06

Could We Meet Again?

———

Absent-mindedly, Islay reached out his hand to the child.

It was strange. That someone would treat him in such a friendly way, or smile so brightly at him. And most of all, it had been a long time since he didn't consider someone to be bothersome.

The child leaned her head back to look up at him.

"Mister, my arm hurts," the child shook her arm while complaining.

Islay woke up from his thoughts and hurriedly grabbed onto her hand.

"Sorry about that." When their eyes met, the child's eyes bent into crescents naturally, as if out of habit. As she smiled, Islay felt as if his chest was being tickled with a feather.

After a while, the child anxiously asked a question.

"But, what if the teacher has already left without me?"

"Don't worry, we'll find her quickly."

Islay sped up his pace, and the child looked reassured by his promise. They made a turn on the path. Islay's eyes seemed to warm up as he held the child's small, warm hands.

As they walked on the well made forest path, the child chattered like a baby bird.

For example,

"Mister, my name is Bianca!"

"I see."

"Mommy calls me Bibi.... "

The child trailed off as she snuck a look at Islay. Then, she continued, speaking as if she were granting him a great honor.

"You can call me that too. I'll let you."

"Pfft...alright, thank you."

Laughter burst out from Islay, who slowed down to match the child's walking speed. Perhaps the child had been born with a lot of curiosity, because she asked question after question.

"I live with Mommy. What about you, Mister?"

At her words, he felt puzzled.

Was there a particular reason for her to only mention her mother? But it wasn't something he could really ask, so he replied to her question instead.

"I live alone."

"Alone? What about your mommy? Isn't it lonely?"