Chapter 12

I Can't Waver

———

'No, I can't waver.'

Evelyn tried to harden her heart. She could sense how painful and difficult it had been for Islay all these years. Nevertheless, the two of them weren't fated to be together since the start. Seven years had passed since the end of their relationship, and they were now too far apart to walk the same way. She was only faltering in her resolve because they had met again after such a long time. It was right to bury the past.

'Besides...I don't want to be a disgrace.'

Fate wasn't the main reason. Evelyn could no longer wish for Islay because she had sold their love for money. She did it to be able to raise and protect Bianca so she didn't regret the decision, but she had the sliver of conscience to know that she didn't have the right to stand next to Islay. She smiled bitterly.

"Well, thank you for saving Bibi."

So in this way, Evelyn once again drew a line between them. As Islay's face fell apart, she looked away.

"I just wanted to come say hello, I didn't want to reflect on the past."

"...What are you talking about?"

"I'm telling you that I only came for a visit."

Evelyn spoke as coldly as she possibly could. Her fingertips were cold and her heart pounded. Her chest hurt.

She felt sorry and guilty, but still, she believed this was the right way.

"Let's not meet again."

As she turned around, Islay urgently called out to her.

"Eve!"

Hearing that desperate voice, Evelyn stopped, she couldn't take another step forward. Islay quickly approached her, and it took all of her willpower to not look back.

"You can't just leave like this."

Even while saying this, Islay couldn't dare lift even reach out to her. She was more precious to him than his own life. He didn't want to act against her will or treat her roughly. But he couldn't just let her go like this. After hesitating for a long time, he finally started to speak, begging.

"Please, please, I'm begging you. Don't leave me..."

Evelyn felt like she was going to go crazy at his desperate words that pecked at her heart. She couldn't bear to be too hard on him, but it's not like she could be with him any longer. She was lost in a daze of her own thoughts, when something interrupted her.

"Mommy."

At that moment, Bianca pulled on the hem of Evelyn's dress. The child spoke carefully.