One

My name is Wang Yibo. It is my nature to be a loner, not by choice, but because of the many events that have unfolded throughout my brief life.

I lost my grandparents in a car accident when I was eight. It was enjoyable to have them over every weekend for dinner. My parents. In most cases, we would sit by the fireplace and tell stories. I have always been very expressive about animals. When talking about rabbits, I was very detailed. I was obsessed with them. I still find them extremely cute.

When I could, I would steal a kiss from my grandmother and grandfather. It was a pleasure to feel their hugs and to smell their sweet scents. My mood was always bright when I was there. Each holiday, I ran downstairs and eagerly awaited my grandparents. It was more meaningful to me to have them than to receive any other presents. I guess I was just a victim of any kind of affection. My parents used to laugh at how clingy I was. It is impossible to resist chuckling when I think of the wonderful moments we have shared over the years. 

There was a night in December when my grandparents were coming over for dinner. It seems as if I was glued to the glass of the front door like some sort of plunger. As the snowflakes drifted from the gloomy sky, I watched them fall to the pavement. It had already been eight-thirty and my grandparents hadn't arrived. I assumed they were just being cautious because my parents warned them about the slippery roads. It was not until about ten that night that we received a call reporting a crash. As my dad rushed out the door, he had a look of distress unlike any I've ever seen before. Due to my inability to process what was happening at that moment, I stood still. It wasn't long before my mom tucked me into the living room to watch TV. Despite her attempts to comfort me, she seemed more afraid than I was. Despite my confusion, I fell asleep on the couch.

The door opened about an hour later and chatter came from the same direction, so I crept over and poked my head out. As he forcefully spoke, my father looked shocked. Our world was shook by what he said? He confirmed the death of my grandparents. She broke out in tears, and I followed behind, startling my unsuspecting parents. My mom snuggled over to me and embraced me while I cried.

It was after that night that everything began to unravel. Eventually, my father developed a drinking problem as a result of deep depression. Without my mom by my side, I would never be able to fall asleep without crying my eyes out for thirty minutes at night. She held it together better than any of us.

With every passing day, things only got more difficult. My dad eventually got fired from his job. He had a lot of trouble finding another, and when he finally did we had to move across the country. We bought an apartment and moved in some of the stuff from our previous house. We recently purchased a new home that was completely different from the previous one. Due to my father's desire to save money, he bought a cheap house. As soon as I entered the dingy-looking apartment, a musky smell filled the air. I'm not used to this kind of environment. It was my privilege to grow up in a clean, comfortable home for the first nine years of my life. The apartment had mold, not to mention the loud neighbors. It was not a complete loss because my room had a much better layout. Despite this, the first few nights were difficult for me to sleep properly. Sleeping in an unfamiliar place made me feel uneasy.

I listened to what I thought was the neighbor arguing one night when I was struggling to fall asleep. It occurred to me that it was not them, but rather my parents. I became concerned when they fought since it was uncommon for them to do so. As I curled up under my blanket, I hoped that I would fall asleep. It wasn't until I heard a yelp and a shatter that the noise finally subsided. After a moment of silence, I heard my mother crying in the doorway to her bedroom. In an effort to comfort her, I waddled out of bed and down the hallway. As I asked her what had happened, she continued to assure me that everything was alright and that I did not need to worry.