Chapter 4: Avalon

On the way to my temporary place that I will call home for a while. I watched as the tall building around me turned to houses with families, and kids running in yards. Though some were small, while others were bigger than others, every single one of them was so different, yet so similar. Some had plants in the front, like flowers and bushes, while others had trees or freshly cut grass.

I felt as if someone's eyes were on me, giving me a slight flutter in my gut. Looking over to Josh, whose eyes quickly looked away, making me silently giggle.

"What are you laughing about?" he asked. I saw the rose growing on his cheeks.

"Nothing," I lied, looking back out the window. Yet again, I felt the eyes of someone on me, though it was on and off.

I watched as the car turned into a roll, turning slowly on to a cement pad. Ahead, a grand gray house stood out, as the stands it stood on were made of stones of many shapes and sizes, with a white fence along the porch, along with white beams holding up the roof above. Infront lies small plants, of flowers, trees, and bushes. Stepping out of the vehicle, a pathway to the steps was made of stone separating off bright healthy grass.

"Woah," my eyes widened at the sight as we got closer, I heard a chuckle beneath Josh's breath.

"Beautiful huh?" he asked, I nodded as we walked up the steps, taking a hold of the smooth railing. The door seemed to be made of dark oak, with blurred windows at the top. The handle was black, and clicked as Josh unlocked it.

The inside of the house was bright, filled with white, and neutral tones of browns, gold, and copper, along with a few pieces of black. The floor was made of wood of a variety of different colors of dark browns. Beside the entry was a set of stairs leading to the second floor that has a black railing, with the same color flooring leading up. I took a few steps in as Josh put down his things.

"Your room is upstairs, across from mine," he tells me, I nodded, taking in the design of the house. His parents come around the corner startling me, I watch as a quick frown appears on their faces at the sight of me flinching back, though a smile appears seconds later.

"Welcome Avalon," his father welcomed me with a bright smile. His voice was deeper than expected. I smiled in return, continuing to look around. "Do you like the house?" he asked.

"Yes," replying, I hear the mother scuff under her breath. I can tell she doesn't want me here. Her husband looks at her with a scolding face, then smiles back at me.

"Would you like a tour?" Josh's voice comes from behind, I look at him nodding politely.

"Show her upstairs first," his father told him, Josh agreed, motioning towards the stairs. I followed him up the stairs, looking at every detail possible. The pictures of their family hung evenly in black frames. He told me little stories of when the pictures were taken.

***

After seeing where the bathroom was, where his parents' room and study were, we came into a decently sized room, with a double bed with dark blue sheets, skateboard posters and boards hung on the wall. Towards the left of the room, a window with a desk in front of it lights the room. Though the walls made it seem darker than all the other rooms.

"This is my room," his voice is calm, yet proud. The rasp in between never seems to disappoint me. I walked in further, touching the sheets on the bed. They were cool and soft, though were slightly messy from the previous night. The scent of the room definitely screamed Josh, though there's no words to describe it.

"Let me show you your room," he suggested. I nodded in return. As we walked over, a slight yell coming from downstairs gave me an uneasy feeling, "don't worry about them," he must have noticed.