Chapter 40

"What do you think about taking a couple of days off work?" Zane asked.

We were laying down in bed, cuddling as we watched a movie. I was trying to pay attention but all I could think about was Zane's heartbeat in my ear. It was so melodic.

"Why? Are you feeling stressed?" I asked. He did seem a little off these past couple of days. It was like he was trying to hide something from me, but I know Zane and he wouldn't do that.

"No... I just thought it would be fun to spend some time to ourselves for a bit," he answered.

"Oh. Well, I have no problems with that. That's a good idea too. Since the company just finished a major event, we have some relax time."

It had been two months since I told Zane about my... issues. He suggested I go to counseling and I thought that was a pretty good idea. He was there for all my appointments and I was glad I had him by my side throughout it all.

But with that and the companies new event, we were both busy and we didn't spend as much time together during the day.

"Great. Would you like to go somewhere? We can go anywhere you choose."

I thought about it for a bit.

"I don't mind staying at home, but if we do go anywhere let's decide that together," I said looking up at him. His grey eyes shimmered and he had in one of my favorite smiles.

"Ok, Love." He kissed the top of my head, but I wanted a real kiss so I hopped on top of him and kissed him all over his mouth. I've been gaining more confidence over the past months and it's shown.

He started laughing and smacked my butt, his laugh getting darker as I let out a short moan. Things only got hotter from there.

•••

In the end, we decided to spend 2 days at home and the rest of the week (plus the weekend) somewhere else. I didn't have a place I sincerely wanted to go so I told Zane to make it a surprise. Anywhere we went would be new and special anyways. I would be happy anywhere with Zane.

It was always our second day, so we were packing clothes and stuff. We didn't pack much since we were going to be buying new clothes from wherever we went. Zane said to pack shorts and tanks so I guess it's somewhere hot.

Zane finished earlier than I did so he went to fix us dinner. I came downstairs expecting plates, but there was a basket instead.

I looked at Zane questionably and he said, "We're going on a picnic. It's someplace special."

"Oooh, ok," I responded with a smile. I racked my brain trying to figure out where exactly we were going as I pulled on my shoes.

Zane drove for a bit but I still couldn't remember where we were until he took a turn on an open dirt road.

It was the beach. The same beach where I told him yes, that I would be his. It still had this ethereal feeling. The sand glistened more than ever and the water shimmered under the darkening sky.

I got all jumpy and hugged Zane tightly. "Now we can see the sunset together, Love," he laughed as I tightened my hold and looked up at him with what had to be the cutest eyes ever. I loved that he still remembered that promise and is fulfilling it.

Zane went to go lay a blanket and set the food after I let go of him. A seashell caught my eye and I went to go pick it up.

It was a clam shell. It was a pale pink with a blue hue to it. It was very smooth and shiny. It was cracked a bit around the edges but it was still intact. But it was beautiful nonetheless. It survived the harsh sea and made it to its final destination.

"Kade," Zane called. Oh, right.

I turned to show him the shell, but found him on his knee instead.

"Zane... what're you.." I tried to say but I got choked up. I gripped the shell as tears started forming. He was looking at me with such warm eyes. I see them all the time, but they were a bit different somehow.

"Kade, this is where you said yes to being mine and me, yours. But now I want us to be each other's forever, so what I'm saying is..." he pulled out a box from his pocket as a couple of tears slid down my face.

I bit my lip as he opened it, revealing a beautiful, silver band ring. I loved the simple design and I could see some engravings but it was too far to read. I looked into Zane's eyes and found happiness awaiting. He was looking at me directly with such warm expressions.

"Kade Lovell, will you marry me?"

Yes. Yes, a thousand times over yes. Of course I will. I would love to. Yes.

Tears kept rolling and I was still choked up, I could barely breathe. My eyes were locked on his and I was sure he could see how I was feeling because a small smile formed on his handsome face.

I took a deep breath and said, "Yes, I will marry you Zane."

I couldn't stop shaking as he pulled the ring out the box and slipped it onto my finger, a perfect fit. My knees gave out and I collapsed on top of him, holding his face and kissing him over and over again as we fell onto the sand. I was so happy. So, so happy. I would've never been this happy without Zane, my love.

The tears eased and my breath regulated as we went to sit down on the blanket.

"I love you, Zane. So much, I wouldn't want to imagine a life without you. You've helped me throughout so many things and when I was feeling down, you've never hesitated to be there and comfort me. I, I just-," I couldn't even get what I was trying to say out as I felt a new wave of waterworks coming.

Zane immediately wrapped his arms around me, putting a hand on my cheek and wiping away the tears.

"I love you too, Kade. You're the one who accepted me for who I was and even my lifestyle. I love waking up in the morning and knowing my Love is there. I get to see your cute face in the morning and it makes me smile all the time, even if I'm just thinking about it. You give me butterflies I didn't know I had. I couldn't imagine life without you," he smiled. I could see a tear drip down his face so I wiped it away as he did mine.

We were always on the same wavelength and we just clicked together. I was so happy we met that night. Kora would be to thank for that. I'd be sure to thank her the next time I saw her, if she ever got off Val's arm at least.

We cuddled for a bit and started to eat as the sun started setting.

"Oh, right," Zane sus suddenly. He pulled out another ring, matching to mine, and started to put it on. I grabbed it before he did though.

"I wanna put it on you," I said, taking hold of his hand. I give the ring a quick inspection and read the engraved word, "Kade's". That meant mine had probably said "Zane's". I smiled and slipped the ring on Zane's finger. His eyes were so happy and bright, he had on the biggest smile ever.

And so did I.

------
A/n: This is the last chapter of TDE. Thanks to the readers for reading my first book! Also, thanks to my editor/uploaded who made sure I wrote chapters often. There might be one or two side chapters, but I'm not sure because I already have another book lined up.