Chapter 10 - Common Ground

(Songs for this chapter -
Heavy - PEACH PRC
Hypersonic Missiles - SAM FENDER)

REDS POV

Lopez didn't take nearly as long as i thought he would to crack, only 2 hours. Peoples minds are so fragile. I didn't exactly listen to his answers but i know Price and Laswell would of recorded everything. I have to stay in a certain frame of mind to be able to do what i do and listening to him talk is a distraction i can't afford.

I am washing the blood off my hands in the bathrooms when i see someone standing in the doorway. I wipe my hands and face before turning around.

"Soap, what can i help you with?" I say as I see who it is. But as soon as i look at his face I already know what's wrong.

"Where is she?" my voice far more urgent now.

"This way." he answers.

Soap is quickly walking me through the compound. I told her, she always has to rebel at my judgement. I knew she wasn't strong enough to deal with seeing that right now. She let her guard down to let Ghost in but that also let her demons in as well. We arrive at the door to the data room. Soap does a gentle 1-2-1 knock on the door and a woman opens the door only slightly. This must be Megs. Once she sees us she opens the door and ushers us quickly inside, looking around to see if anyone else is in the corridor.

The rooms is full of all kinds of tech things. Spare electrical parts, old broken hand held devices and trackers. Piles of books and blueprints in the windowsill seat. In the middle a large desk with 4 monitors and a super computer under it. I don't see her but she has to be here as i can hear music. Megs is tall, dark hair under a bandanna and round glasses way to big for her face. She walks to the corner of the computer desk, tilts her head and points her eyes down behind it. I slowly walk towards her following her eyes to behind her desk, Megs stares at me the whole time.

There she is. Sitting on Ghost, her head against his chest, cradled in his arms. I can only see the back of her head but i can see Ghosts face. He nods signalling me to come around, I have never been more thankful for him than right now in this moment. I knew he would protect her, but i didn't realize just how much they understood each other. He brought her here knowing she loves music. That in itself gives him the all clear in my book.

I come around the other side of Ghost and kneel down next to him so i can see her face. Her eyes look up at me. She's conscious, a good start.

"Hey little one," I speak it really softly. I know how vulnerable she is right now.
"Did you get lost?"

I put my hand out and her instinctual response kicks in putting her hand in mine. We've done this many times before. I pull up her sleeve a little. I'm not exactly sure what she's told Ghost, the scars on her wrist aren't obvious but they are on display now if he didn't already know. I turn over her arm so i can check her pulse. It's still high but nowhere near what i was expecting. Ghost is holding her other hand and keeping her close to his chest. Smart man, he knew what was needed, he's been through this kind of thing before I'm sure of it.

"Ghost brought me back." she whispers. My eyes widen and i look straight up at him. It normally takes her days, minimum, to start speaking again. He just looks back at me in honesty, he may not show his face but his feelings are out in the open. These two are have a remarkable bond to each other.

"Oh thank god." I say as i sigh, bowing my head slightly. "You're here."

"I'm alright. I'll be okay this time." She says it softly her voice cracking in parts. Looking up at Ghost, he's still looking at me. Taking in everything i'm doing for her in case he needs it in the future. I greatly underestimated how deep his affections for her are.