21. the beginning of obstacles

21 | "All I want is to protect you

21 | "All I want is to protect you."

"Wow, look at them

"Wow, look at them..."

"President Moon and Vice President Lee are dating? That's a first!"

"Guess they're really representing the 'enemies to lovers' trope now..." Alright, the first two were fine, but now that one? They need to shut up. I don't need the truth nor writing superficialities to smack me in my face right now.

This speculation, or rather, the rumors that are 100% true, had unsettled my heart a bit–not because I was dating him, but rather from the roasts and responses I'd be getting in return. Some were supportive, the majority was, because I think they believed that we'd be done cat-fighting, but others were unsure. I could see their glares and avoidant gazes out of the corner of my eye, even the obvious grimaces that made sure I'd look.

I feel him squeeze my hand to bring me out of my trance. "Hayoon?" He whispers, causing me to turn my head and face him. He grins, and I awkwardly chuckle. "I know what you're thinking. Don't let it affect you."

"I guess being friends for years pays off. You can see right through me."

"No, it's that annoyed look on your face. If you glared back at one of them, I'm afraid you'd get in a fight," I elbowed him in the hip and he caves with a laugh. "I'm sorry, darling! You know how much I love teasing you."

"I wish I didn't," We turned the corner, and eventually, I came face to face with a foe–or really, a friend. He holds his books close to his chest, but seeing us holding hands, it drops to his sides, and he glares at Heeseung. However, turning to me, his glare softens, and he looks down. He tries to go around us, but I grab his arm.

He sighs, perhaps knowing it was unavoidable. "What do you want?"

"We need to talk," I replied, making him roll his eyes. "I know you don't want to, but I feel like I deserve some kind of explanation–"

Sunoo shakes his hand out of my grip, scoffing soon after. "You don't deserve anything from me, Hayoon," Heeseung squeezes my hand again, almost letting go to handle Sunoo, but I continue to hold him close. I didn't need him to solve this problem for me–this was something I needed to handle between Sunoo and I. "I mean, what is there to say? That I love you? That I'm supposed to give up? I had been by your side for years, Hayoon. I was there when you were trying to come back to school for the first time. I was there."