24. you can't please everyone

24 | "Falling in love with him was truly checkmate

24 | "Falling in love with him was truly checkmate."

"Turn the papers over in three, two, one–!" At the same time, our late midterm for our calculus class has come

"Turn the papers over in three, two, one–!" At the same time, our late midterm for our calculus class has come. Of course, even if another break is around the corner, Heeseung and I must fight. I feel myself burn as I see the ninety-three on his paper, a ninety-two bringing my fists to collide with his desk. "You're such a cheater! How could you get one point higher than me!? Did you cheat off me again?"

His hands slither onto my waist, stopping me from getting close. "Accusing me of cheating again? Don't you remember what happened last time this occurred?" I didn't reply, pouting. With his right hand, he pinches his cheek, a groan leaving Yuri's mouth as she waits for me. "It's okay, at least I know this time you're just upset over your losses."

My cheeks flush red, pushing his hands off of me. "Whatever."

His finger runs down my nose, a sly smirk across his lips. "Checkmate, darling."

"Wait, Hayoon," Yuri cuts us short. "Are you really coming over in a few days?" I nod, causing Yuri to turn to her brother. "Why are you bringing her over so early? It's only been a month or so. I mean, I know you two are serious about each other, but–"

"I'd rather have Mom and Dad meet her early instead than struggle to do it later. You know how they get–if you don't let them know ahead of time, they start complaining."

Yuri sighs, trying to help me out of this situation. I can see a boy in glasses lurking in the corner of my eye. When I take a glimpse, it's Sunoo. "Heeseung, this is different. This is your significant other, not a plan–"

"She's someone I want to be with forever," Heeseung defends his position, but as I watch Sunoo beckon me over, I seem to tune out some of my boyfriend's lecture. "Yuri... why are you against it... don't you want her... Hayoon?"

I perk up at the mention of my name, staring at Heeseung. He seems to notice the presence of a lurking Sunoo, sighing in frustration. "You're distracted by him, aren't you?" I try to divert the conversation, but Heeseung fully turns his way. "Let me go talk to him, I'll–"