Queen of the North

Aemond stood outside his family's quarters, his eyes fixed on the magnificent dragon that lay coiled nearby. His wife, Daenera, stood beside him, holding their two young children, Aenys and Daeron. The air was heavy with the weight of impending departure.

"I'll only be gone a little while," Aemond said, trying to reassure his family. "I'll return as soon as I can."

Daenera nodded, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "You be careful, Aemond. We need you alive and well."

"I'll be careful," Aemond promised, reaching out to touch his wife's cheek. "And I'll be back before you know it."

Aenys, the eldest of the two children, tugged on his father's shirt. "Will you bring us back a present, Father? Something from Storm's End?"

Aemond smiled down at his son, ruffling his hair affectionately. "Of course, Aenys. I'll bring you both something special."

Daeron, the younger of the two, clung to his mother's skirts. "You come back soon, Father. Daeron misses you."

Aemond's heart swelled with love for his children. He kneeled down to embrace them both, feeling their small arms wrap around his neck tightly.

"I'll miss you both too," he whispered, pressing kisses to their foreheads. "But I have to go. Duty calls."

With a final, lingering look at his family, Aemond rose to his feet and made his way to the waiting dragon. Daenera and the children watched as he mounted the beast, the dragon's scales gleaming in the morning sun.

"Take care of them, my love," Aemond called down to his wife. "I'll be back soon."

And with that, the dragon took to the sky, its great wings beating a thunderous rhythm against the air. Aemond watched as his family grew smaller and smaller below him, his heart heavy with longing. But he knew he had a duty to perform, and he would do it to the best of his ability.

As he soared towards Storm's End, Aemond couldn't help but wonder what the future held in store for him and for the Seven Kingdoms. But for now, he was content to let the wind carry him towards his destination, his mind focused on the task at hand.

_______________

Daenera Stark stood before King Aegon, feeling nervous and unsure of how to broach the subject that was weighing heavily on her mind.

"Your Grace," she began, swallowing the lump in her throat. "I must speak with you about a matter of great importance."

Aegon looked up from the documents he was reading and gestured for her to continue.

"What is it, Daenera?" he asked, his tone gentle.

Daenera took a deep breath before speaking. "As you know, my brother Cregan is set to become the new Lord of Winterfell after our father's passing. But I... I don't believe he is the best choice for the role."

Aegon raised an eyebrow in surprise. "And who do you think is a better choice, Daenera?"

She hesitated for a moment, unsure of how to proceed. But then, she steadied herself and spoke with conviction. "I believe that I am the best choice, Your Grace. I have been raised in the North and have learned from my father all the skills necessary to lead our people. I know the land and its people intimately, and I am ready and willing to serve as Lady of Winterfell."

Aegon listened to her carefully, considering her words. He knew that Cregan was a strong and capable leader, but he also knew that Daenera was just as capable, if not more so.

After a moment of thought, he spoke. "Daenera, I appreciate your honesty and your willingness to serve. And I agree that you are well-suited to lead the North. Therefore, I hereby name you the new Lady of Winterfell."

Her eyes widened in surprise and gratitude. "Thank you, Your Grace. I won't let you down."

Aegon smiled at her. "I know you won't. You have always been a Stark at heart, Daenera. I have no doubt that you will make a great leader."

Daenera beamed with pride, knowing that she had made the right decision in speaking up and asking for what she believed was best for her people. She couldn't wait to take on her new role and lead the North with strength and compassion. Even though she knew Aegon wasn't the rightful heir, she knew that the North was hers and she'd protect it.

Later that night, she held her two young sons tightly as they lay in bed, their small bodies trembling with fear and uncertainty. Aenys clung to her tightly while Daeron buried his face in her chest.

"What's going to happen now that the king is dead?" Aenys asked. She knew that the future was uncertain and that there were many who would be vying for the throne.

"I don't know, my love," she said softly. "But we will do everything we can to keep you safe and to protect our family."

Daeron looked up at her. "Will they hurt us?" he asked.

She shook her head, trying to keep her voice calm and reassuring. "No, my sweet boy. We will make sure that you are protected, no matter what happens."

Aenys looked up at her with tears in his eyes. "Is Aegon really king?"

She hesitated, unsure of how to answer. "Yes, he is, and even though it may not be ideal, it isn't up to us," she explained. "But we don't need to worry about that now. Right now, all that matters is that we are together and that we are safe."

She hugged her sons tightly, feeling the weight of their fear and uncertainty. She knew that the days ahead would be difficult, but she was determined to do everything in her power to protect her family and to ensure that they would always be together.

"Everything will be okay," she whispered, holding them close. "I promise."