Chapter 16: The Night Before the Auction

"Which would be worse, To live as a monster, or to die as a good man?"

- Teddy Daniels

...

Gotham City, Iceberg Lounge, and the Boss's Office.

A short and fat man in a tuxedo sits at the head of the table, listening expressionlessly to the report from his subordinate.

This man's appearance was quite strange, with a round, swollen face and unusually sharp nose that was as long as a penguin's beak.

With such obvious facial features, there is no need to say more about his identity.

Today, the biggest kingpin of Gotham's underground, Oswald Cobblepot, is also known as Penguin.

Below Penguin, Ignatius calmly told him about Phantom Thief Kid's notice letter.

"Phantom Thief Kid?"

After hearing Ignatius's explanation, Penguin seems slightly interested, but he doesn't seem to take this new thief seriously.

He shook his head casually, as he didn't think the Phantom Thief Kid was a big threat compared to Catwoman.

"Our rookies in Gotham are becoming more and more bold. Does he think he can mess with what's mine? Does he think he's Catwoman?"

At this point, Ignatius asked, "Boss, do you need someone to take care of him?"

"Hmph, no need, someone will help us."

Penguin sneered twice upon hearing this.

"The upcoming auction will gather most of the influential people in Gotham. The GCPD won't allow that thief to cause trouble at the event, and even that Bat and his little bird will possibly show up."

"Even I have to think carefully about what to do in this situation before I do anything, let alone a new thief."

"We don't need to take the initiative to deal with him. This ignorant thief will pay the price for his stupidity."

Ignatius looked worried and asked, "Boss, I'm worried that this Phantom Thief Kid might find out about the fake diamond and expose our secret..."

"So what if he does?"

Penguin didn't take it seriously, "Ignatius, have you forgotten why we forged that diamond? I never expected to make money by selling it from the start. Even if the fake is exposed, what harm can it do to us? Besides, there is no evidence to prove that the diamond came from us."

"But what about the Phantom Thief Kid, then?"

The calm attitude of Penguin made Ignatius frown.

"He spread the notice letter to let the whole city of Gotham know that he would steal something at the auction, and the target was definitely our diamond. From the outside world, this is seen as a challenge from the Phantom Thief Kid to Penguin Gang. If we completely ignore him..."

"Did I say we're completely ignoring him?"

Penguin glanced at Ignatius. "I just don't want to carelessly offend the GCPD and Batman for a stupid idiot. That's a ridiculous decision, but it doesn't mean I'm afraid of them."

"Ignatius, On the day of the auction, the hotel will be full of GCPD personnel. We won't get involved inside. You arrange for a few gunmen to ambush outside and be careful not to be caught by the police. If the Phantom Thief Kid tries to escape, let someone kill him directly. If Phantom Thief Kid gets arrested, then kill him with the police car that escorted him."