Chapter 24: Surprised

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

- Winnie the Pooh

...

In the surveillance footage, every once in a while, Phantom Thief, disguised as 'Tom,' would leave the restaurant and appear in the halls.

He kept changing his position, sometimes on the left side and then running to the right side.

Also, he was always with another person or even a group of people, making it difficult to spot him alone.

As a result, the police in the surveillance room spent a long time watching the footage but couldn't see anything suspicious because there were so many people dressed like Tom in the hallway.

Tom was wearing the clothes that waiters wear.

In addition, Phantom Thief always stuck with others, never making any obvious suspicious movements.

If they hadn't known in advance that something was off about 'Tom,' it would have been difficult for anyone to find out what was wrong.

The surveillance only covered a small area, with only fifteen cameras installed on the entire 18th floor to monitor the main halls and important areas.

There was only one camera installed in the public entertainment area, and there were no cameras in the auction area.

The reason was simple.

Gotham's arrogant upper-class elites highly valued their privacy.

They didn't like being watched, and they didn't like seeing a group of cops in police uniforms standing in sight.

Therefore, if Gordon wanted to know what was happening inside, he could only rely on the dozens of undercover cops he had placed inside.

Moreover, only important areas in the halls were under surveillance.

After all, this was a hotel, not a prison, so it is impossible to consider installing 360-degree surveillance.

"Here, here, and here, rewind the footage seven minutes, twenty-two minutes, and seventeen minutes,"

Robin suddenly pointed to three of the surveillance screens.

"Do as he says,"

Gordon immediately instructed.

The officers quickly adjusted the screens to the mentioned time points. In all three footage, they could see 'Tom.'

"Pay attention to this. Although these are footage from three different camera angles, they were actually taken from the same location,"

Robin pointed it out.

"Yes, it's a corner, and the three cameras are located in the middle of two halls and at the top of the corner,"

The police officers agreed.

"Look at Phantom Thief in these scenes. He appeared in different positions, but in the three camera footage, he discreetly looked in the same direction at this corner. He passed through this corner three times, and his gaze was always focused in one direction. Isn't that strange?"

Robin's eyes deepened. "What does he need to repeatedly confirm there?"

"Notify the nearby patrol team to go there immediately,"

Gordon quickly responded, preparing to give orders to his subordinates to check the corner.

"No, Commissioner Gordon, I can handle it alone,"