Perfect-13

As the apartment came into view, Sophie found herself yawning. Beside her, Koen did the same. Rajni had already fallen asleep, Kenna having offered to piggyback her the rest of the way. 

"Big day, huh?" Koen said. 

"Definitely. I'm so tired." Sophie's eyes drifted back to the bracelet Rajni had given her. Ever since she'd gotten it, it had been difficult to think about anything else. She'd gotten gifts before, but something so pure? So sentimental? After everything, it was definitely the perfect thing to keep her mind off things, while also a sweet reminder of the past. 

"How'd you like today?" Evander asked from behind the rest of the group. Sophie slowed her pace to match his. 

"It was..." Memories of the day replayed in her mind, the emotions returning with each precious moment. She smiled. "Nice."

"That's good. Rajni was really adamant about making sure you felt welcome. She really went all out, huh? I mean, she'd played into the night, trying to earn all the money she'd need for today. It had to be earned, not pickpocketed. She said it would 'be more special' that way." 

Sophie looked back at Evander. She'd done all that? Sophie looked at Rajni, her brain trying to fit the knowledge into her mind. Studying her sleeping face, Sophie's cheeks warmed. It hadn't seemed possible, but Rajni looked even more like a child in her sleep. How was it possible for someone to be so pure and innocent at that age? 

Sophie sighed, grinning. "She and Kenna are really close." 

Evander nodded. "Kenna would do anything for Rajni."

Sophie didn't doubt it, though it caused her to wonder... "Why--- I mean, how'd they meet?" 

Evander followed Sophie's eyes to Rajni. "It sounds crazy, but Rajni saved Kenna. I don't know the full story, but ever since that day, they've been inseparable." 

Inseparable... That somewhat explained Kenna's reaction to getting teleported to San Diego. She'd said 'siblings' that day, but Sophie now had a growing feeling that the word could be translated to "Rajni" every time. 

"I'll take Rajni up to her bed. See you there?" 

Sophie nearly jumped out of her skin. She'd forgotten Kenna was in earshot. Had she heard their conversation? Evander's expression told her she hadn't, that they'd been quiet enough. 

"I'll-I'll be there." 

Kenna nodded, disappearing into the apartment building with Koen following close behind. Sophie turned back to Evander. 

"Don't forget about the locket," he reminded, his smile sending a warm feeling into her heart. It spread through her entire body, up to her face, and her cheeks turned pink. 

Sophie reached to feel the necklace, relaxing when she found the small, cool metal heart. She'd been unsure about it at first, as it had reminded her of Fitz's gift to her. Things hadn't worked out between them... But, Evander wasn't Fitz. He was kinder. Sweeter. He really cared about her, kind of like... "Goodnight," she said, shoving away the thoughts.

"Night, Foster." 

Sophie had started for the stairs already, but she turned back. And for a moment, she saw Keefe. His messy hair, his crooked smile, and his eyes staring into hers. Only for her. Then, it was Evander again, and Sophie spun on her heels, for the third floor. Pushing the door open, she raced to her purple bag. She should check on him, make sure he's okay. Just in case the Neverseen attacked, or the Council decided to punish him for her escape--

"You alright?" 

Sophie jumped, her heart nearly jumping out of her chest. "Kenna. You scared me."

"Obviously," she said. "Seriously, though, are you good?"

"Uh, yeah?"

"'Uh', really?" Kenna gestured to Sophie's corner of the room with a huge grin. "You didn't even notice your new bed! Er, uh, mattress. My idea."

Sophie's words escaped her, breathing impossible. In the corner of the room, opposite of Kenna's, lay a brand new, sheeted mattress. Best of all, unlike the other Renegade's beds, hers had covers and blankets.

"You did this?" 

"I know. I'm amazing." 

"You are," Sophie agreed. Dropping the Spyball back into her bag, she stepped towards the bed. "Is this real?"

"You're a Renegade now, Sophie. You've earned it."

Sophie knelt, fingers brushing across the cover's surface. Soft, light, and with a beautiful, yellow hue. Another, smaller blanket was tucked underneath, heavier to keep the cold out. The only thing it was missing was the pillow. The very same pillow Koen had gotten her earlier that day. They'd all been in on it. They'd known. Her eyes watered. 

 "I'll get out of your way so you can change, now. If you need anything, lemme know. Okay?" 

Sophie nodded, stretching her arms and legs out as far as they could go as she settled into the bed. Eventually, though, she forced herself to get back up and relocate all her things. This time, however, the Spyball wasn't going in her bag. Temptations were too much. 

Making sure to tuck it far into the closet, Sophie turned to Iggy, who'd already made himself comfortable on Ella's lap. 

"Goodnight, naughty imp." Of course, Iggy farted in response. Thankfully, she was used to it and was able to reach her bed without dying. Telekinesis turned out the lights, and Sophie made herself comfortable in her new bed. She'd just laid down when something cold tickled her neck. The locket. She'd promised Evander not to forget. Pulling the heart up into view, she pried the two halves open to reveal not a picture, but a sentence inscribed on the inside. 

Welcome home, Sophie Foster.

Finally, Sophie was home at last.