Sorry Dex- 25

Sophie stretched in her new bed, Iggy snuggled on top of her stomach. Glancing over to the corner where her backpack sat, she sighed. While Koen, Evander and Rajni had all unpacked, Sophie's things remained untouched. She wasn't quite sure why she couldn't unpack, but every time she thought of settling in, something stopped her. What if they moved again? What if she had to make a quick escape as she had when leaving Havenfield? Life was unpredictable, and if she needed to quickly pack, she'd likely leave behind more important things.

Sophie regretted not packing more---her old scrapbook, an imparter, and she was really starting to miss Edaline's elvin treats. She pulled out her iPod, hoping the music would erase the longing inside of her. Sophie had promised she'd stop thinking about the past, and she'd been doing so well, so she wasn't going to lose that progress to some stupid fear of losing... everything... all over again. She cleared her throat, turning the music up until her thoughts gave up and died away. Numb. Sophie craved that feeling.

The door swung open and Sophie jolted into a sitting position as Koen entered the room. Pain shot up her sides as he stumbled into the room, and she immediately recoiled into a small ball. Rajni and Evander shoved Koen from behind, all three of them climbing on top of each other to get inside. Finally, after the struggling had ceased, Koen spoke.

"Sophie," he said, eyes solemn. "Come outside. Now."

"What? What's going on?" She met Evander's eyes. "Evander?"

"No time to explain. We need you outside, Sophie." His gaze darkened. "Now."

Panicked, Sophie scrambled from her covers and left Iggy scurrying away. She didn't bother putting on shoes, for the second she'd stood up, the trio rushed back downstairs. Racing after them, Sophie shoved the iPod into her pocket. "Where's Kenna? What's happening?"

"She's in the back!" Rajni said as they crowded onto the stairs. "Hurry!"

Obediently, Sophie followed, ignoring the agitation that was growing inside her. No one would tell her anything, yet expected her to follow them blindly. Had the Neverseen found them? Was Kenna hurt? Through the hall and out the door, Sophie ran.

She didn't stop until she stood right before the pool, a decent view of the entire yard. From the grassy back to the back porch, Sophie turned in circles. In defeat, her pounding heart slowing to a normal pace, she turned back to Koen. "I don't understand. Where's Ken---"

A gasp left Sophie as someone shoved her forward. As she hit the cold, pool water, Sophie tensed. A burning pain lit up in her side, and she cursed---censored by the bubbles. Her coughs worsened the pain, and Sophie sank lower and lower. Above, she could see the blurry silhouettes, her eyes stinging of Chlorine. Her friends were looking down at her, and it suddenly dawned on her. They had pranked her, the outcome worse than they'd imagined. Not that they knew that, as Sophie held tight to her wounded side in hopes that the shirt would soak up all blood. The blood was warm compared to the sharp chills of the chlorinated pool water.

Sophie had been wrong to put off tending to her wound, though it was only because she'd found that they hadn't any first aid kits. Really, though, she should've just gone out and bought one the second she'd had a chance. It shouldn't have mattered whether the Renegades questioned her about it, as it was a necessity for the future. And yet, she'd still not done it. Noted: find something to properly treat her wound the second she had another free chance.

As her toes touched the pool floor, Sophie cautiously fixed herself upright---pressing just as tightly to her wound---before using the ground to push off towards the surface.

"You good?" Koen wore a smirk, that Sophie could only make out after she'd blinked a good few times.

Through heavy breaths, she sent him her dirtiest of glares. "Do I look 'good'?"