60

"My back hurts

"My back hurts." Jack says groaning as he stands up and tries to stretch.

"I'm the one who has been sitting for hours in back tk back meeting. I'm the one who is supposed to have back pain not you." I point out from behind my desk.

He raises an eyebrow "Well have you been sleeping on the couch for the past two days?"

I chuckle "And why on earth would I be sleeping on the couch?"

"Jess is mad, after you guys left she kept asking questions and I came clean about the fling." He says as he sits down crossing one leg over the other.

Knowing Jess's mood swings she probably kicked his ass in the process.

"Speaking of Jess, that night at your house she said that Eve gained weight and thought the reason is pregnancy"

Jack's places the palm of his hand over his face "She really said that?"

"Yeah, Eve was really upset the whole night even when we got home she ignored me and wouldn't listen to what I have to say".

"At least you got to sleep on the bed" he mutters making me laugh and then proceeds to say "My apologies really. You know how Jess can be sometimes, and the loss of our miracle baby really hit her hard." Jack explains leaning forward.

"That's what I thought, so what are you going to do now?"

"I promised her that we'd have a baby one way or another, we are trying IVF for the last time and I believe it's going to work this time." He says confidently.

I get up from my chair gathering my laptop "If you need a bed to sleep on, you are welcome to my house."

He shakes his head "This is how marriage is man. It's not always bright with rainbows, you have to stick around and show your wife that you are there even when she doesn't want to see your face."

Is it really like that?

"The honeymoon phase you have with Evelina will end at some point"

"Hey! Don't jinx my happy marriage." I point at him grabbing my work bag. Jack and I leave my office and it seems like we are the only people left.

We step into the elevator and I grab my phone texting Evelina that I'll be home soon and she replies with a 'K'.

I frown at the phone she can't possible be still upset about the Jess thing can she?

"Oh I know that look" Jack jokes nudging my arm with his elbow, I place my phone in my pocket and stare at him "Mind your own business"

He laughs as we step out of the elevator and we head outside of the building to our cars. I step into my car turning on the engine and start driving home.

I remember a time when home was just the place I slept in and it didn't matter what time I made it home. My job was all I cared about, I didn't mind staying in the office for hours. However, now I have something to go home to.