Chapter 20 | Dorian

It was past midnight when the door to the room opened, and I sensed Manon slipping into bed with me. Even before the door opened, I recognized her footsteps in the hallway and her scent. It was incredible how I had memorized her movements, sound, and scent during the months we spent hunting the Crochans. So much so that I could recognize her even in my sleep.

"Quite late for a visit, witchling. I thought I wouldn't see you again today."
"Good night, princeling. Did you miss me?"

She took off the dress she wore for tonight's dinner and joined me in bed. To my surprise, she nestled against my arm and lay on her side, looking at me.

"Why is your hair wet?"
"It seems I'm one of those bridesmaids. There are pools in the forest."
"What? - I couldn't help but laugh.
"Elide led us to some hidden pools in the woods and asked Aelin and me to be her bridesmaids. Although I'm not quite sure what that means."
"Well, I think it means you're very important to her."
"Yes, I think so too." I glanced at her; she was thoughtful, staring at the wall.
"What are you thinking?"
"In all the years I led the wing, I never told them how important they were, never even thought about it."
"Sometimes we take things for granted and take too long to realize. It's part of life, realizing certain things too late." I said, stroking her hair. To my surprise, she didn't pull away.
"You're important to me, Dorian, you know that?"
"I do, witchling. You're important to me too." She sighed deeply, as if she had said something liberating.
"Good night, your highness," she said, turning around to be enveloped in my arms with her head on my chest.
"Would you like to go with me to the wedding tomorrow?" I didn't think too much about it; I knew I wanted to keep whatever it was between us a secret, but I needed to take a chance.
"With you? Aren't we both going to be there?"
"With me, I mean, with me. Together, as a couple." She sat up abruptly to look at me from above.
"I don't understand what that means. As a couple? In front of everyone?"
"It will mean only what you and I want it to mean, Manon."
She stayed thoughtful and puzzled, looking at me.

"If you don't want to, it's not an obligation, Manon. I understand if you don't want to..."
"No, let's go together. It will be fun." And she lay back on my chest as if nothing had happened.

I didn't know what had just happened. Tomorrow, we would go together, and she had accepted without hesitation. I didn't know what that meant, and now she was asleep in my arms. It was going to be a small wedding, but I knew the news of the King of Adarlan and the Witch Queen entering a royal wedding together in Erilea would soon travel across the continent. And the worst part was, I didn't care what people would say; I was the luckiest man on the planet.

——————

I knocked on the door three times, though I knew it wasn't necessary, but I must admit I was quite nervous.

Manon had disappeared early in the morning, more than 7 hours had passed, and I knew nothing about her.

I heard voices behind the door, and it surprised me to recognize Rowan and Aelin.

"In a few days, he'll be healed, don't worry. Tomorrow, before going home, I'll check on him."
"It looks gorgeous, Manon, now you even seem more rebellious than before!"
"God, shut up, Aelin," I heard her say amid laughter.

Was she injured? Why wouldn't they open the door for me? I insisted again.

"We have to get one together now that we're best friends!"
"Please, Rowan, control your Queen."

I couldn't wait any longer and opened the door to find Manon with her back to the door, Rowan and Aelin looking at her back.

"Can you tell me what's going on? Are you hurt?"
"Dorian, what? No..."